⭒9⭒

She was either wildly naive
Or dangerously intelligent.
{Pinterest}

_________________

It had been three weeks now here in Spain. Alhamdulillah. I think God answered my prayers because no longer was I being stalked by the demon and no longer was I living in fear. The situation here went back to normal all by the help of God.

Although, there was a small inkling of fear which resided in the back of my brain, but it was taken care of when I'd pray or read the Quran.

The demon who tried to kill me that night had thankfully not made an appearance in my life. Every time I remembered what happened to me, I would recoil in fear and my hands would immediately go to my neck. The bruises were gone now, but the soreness did not. No one from back home nor from the Mukhtars family knew about this, and I decided to keep it that way.

Why worry others with your problems.

It was an early morning as I awoke by not my alarm, but rather a phone call. Too busy trying to open my eyes, I answered the call.

"Happy birthday Laila!" My brother? screamed. Instantly all signs of tiredness and sleep vanish and are replaced by alarm. I looked at the screen, seeing Nasir waving and smiling.

"Wake up sleepy head. It's your 19th today s'how do you feel?" He asked, but due to the connection his voice came out low.

"Clearly okay" I replied sarcastically rubbing my eyes.

"Turn that frown upside down. Get up girl. I'm sure you've got work In a couple minutes" I hate to say it but he was right. Mama and baba appeared from behind Nasir.

"Assalamu-alaikum Laila. Happy birthday bakri. How are you feeling" dad asked.

"Walay-kamus salaam Abu g. I am fine Alhamdulillah. How are you and ammi g?"

"Were all good dear. We just wanted to call for your big day today. Now hurry and get ready otherwise you'll get late"

I nodded my head ending the phone call. I quickly got ready and before I knew it, I was out the door.

It was a Friday today, the last day working at the hospital for the week. I continued with the usual routine checkups on the kids, as they were still under my control for another month. All of the ones that had been referred to me were extremely nice and fun to hang around with. Also, their injuries were not that major, which was good as it meant they wouldn't be in pain that much.

Over the course of the three weeks, Marissa had become much more tolerant of the kids here too. She told me one time after our shift how she saw herself In a patient. I was glad she was having a change of heart and that too with a kid.

Night time arrived sooner than expected. I guess I must've had fun for the day to go past so quick. I waved bye at Marissa, as she walked towards her car.

"Don't eat too much cake Laila. Save me some" she joked. I laughed, nodding my head.

"Of course I will. Buenas noches"

Lameesa had a short lecture today, and because of that she went home early. Although she insisted on waiting for me, I couldn't be heartless and make her wait two hours. Instead, I told her, no ordered her to go home and do something useful In those two hours.

Now it was just me and some other people at the bus station. I admit, everytime I was here, chills would immediately make their way into my body and freeze my consciousness, which only explains how much this place affects me.