⭒62⭒

He knows that which deceives the eyes
And what the breast conceals
{Quran, Surah Ghafir, Verse 19}
_______________

"June twenty-sixth, three-twenty five pm. For the case of Alvaro Marco, a suspect who had been a part of Spain's most dangerous Mafia, El rey de Garduña for three years of his life, has now gained a verdict of... not guilty. He is now exonerated from all charges acquired throughout this trial"

The cameras clicked photos of King Rafael Cenzo Rey in the palpable silence, but was soon overpowered by gasps of the courtroom. Nothing like this had ever happened before. They were sure Alvaro Marco would receive a death penalty for his alliance with the most notorious Mafia in Europe.

"After 5 continuous years of this case, the decision has been finalised under Spanish law, taking into consideration evidence, previous criminal history, witnesses and the final verdict of the jury themselves. All charges and sentences pressed against him are now exempt. The case of Alvaro Marco is now dismissed" Rudy Dario announced with a bang of the gravel. He got up and left the room, causing an uproar of journalists and police force.

For the first time in history, such a monument was disclosed to the world five years ago, rendering the entirety of Spain shook. News of this spread like wildfire both across the underworld and Europe. Soon after that, the president's dirty secrets had been exposed in broad daylight, and not a month later, newspapers, news channels and the internet had subsequently displayed the suicide of Fernando Vasquez.

"Spanish president's life hanging by a thread" was one of the headlines for Fernando Alvarez's suicide from the veracious news channels. When one of the soldiers were talking amongst themselves, Rafael couldn't help but overhear and exude a rage of laughter. The beauty of the statement was, that if one was to take the headline both literally and metaphorically, it alluded to his suicide in all scenarios.

What a beautiful ending to a hideous monster.

His happiness was shortlived, just like Rafael wanted. His dream of presidency disintegrating before his eyes, so much so he took his own life. He couldn't bear his sins reaching the world, damaging his pristine, crystal clear reputation. Not that Rafael was better than him in any way, but justice was justice served.

What Fernando failed to realise though, was that crystal broke under pressure, no matter it's state. Nothing good ever lasted and that was one thing Rafael wanted for him to never forget, even in the moment leading to his deathbed.

The Mafia was such an organised family that there was no reason for sand to fall between the fingers. Everything they ever did was low-key. The only reason it still stood till this day, against all rivals, is because there were no errors for mistakes. Every worsening situation was taken care of before it even began.

Like cancer being treated early on, before it could damage the host severely.

Five years Rafael spent in jail. Half a decade of solitude. Patience. Restless nights. So much so he'd forgotten how the world went by. Rafael had reflected on a lot of things in his confinement. Every meeting he had with Juan. Every conversation with the guards. Every momory with Jimena. Every evanescent moment with Laila. His beloved wife.

The only women he'd ever allowed himself to love. Wholely. He'd reflected on his mistreatment of her in the beginning of their relationship. How he'd casually swear at her. Become everything he'd ever detested in a man with her. Becoming a quarter the displeasing man Jimena's biological father was.

That would all change.

His hands were itching to hold her in his arms and never let go, more than smoking. That was a habit he'd ridden himself of alongside his easily led anger. Confinement taught him patience goes a long way. Controlling ones desire goes even further.