⭒30⭒

I love listening to lies
When I know the truth
{Anonymous}
________

"Salaam Misa. I have some work at the hospital so don't wait for me please. I'll try coming back as soon as I can, although no promises though" I iterated in a low voice. I glanced down at my left hand, the guilt washing over me one more time.

"Don't worry about it Laili you're okay right? Your voice seems hoarse. Have you been crying?!" She exclaimed so suddenly.

Damnit. Did she really have to catch on!

"N-no. I've just got a cold. I forgot to wear something underneath my shirt" hopefully that was a good excuse.

"Oh" she exclaimed, doubt lingering her words. "If you say so. Do you want me to drop off something warm?"

"No!" I bit back a little too forcefully.

"No. Don't worry Lameesa. I'm so sorry but I have to go check on the patients. I'll see you later. Khuda hafiz" the words rushed out from my mouth not wanting to lie further to her.

I ended the call not waiting for her reply.

The scary ladies words kept running around in my mind. Was the demons name Rafael? Was that him or someone else. Who was she? Who was she working for? How did she know me?!

Growling in my head, I Was frustrated. My mind was not by my side right now. My thoughts were hundred miles per hour and there was no stopping. God, I just wanted to bang it against the wall and have some type of memory loss where I would forget everything.

A clear of a throat bought me back to earth as I glanced up. I was more than shocked. What was he doing here! Did he just think he could come and go as he wishes.

Rafael has some nerve involving a Muslim girl into his mess.

Itzels' words rung in my mind like a broken record. I thought I was free, I thought I could escape the Mafia and keep it in the past, but looks like I was more involved than I could have ever comprehended.

With a gust of anger, I stood up, not caring if I ruined his pristine white shirt with the blood. The blood of Antoinette who was currently fighting for her life.

Tears sprung to my eyes, but I refused to let them out.

"You! This happened because of you. Where were you huh?! Where were you when I asked for you?!" I didn't realise how loud I was screaming until I could see doctors lingering around the hallway, their eyes wide.

The demon before me stood emotionless, not caring at all about anyone around us.

He said something In Spanish with a hard face, his eyes never once leaving mine. The doctors shuffled from the hallway and into the elevator, carrying themselves elsewhere.

My eyes held an equal amount of fire as his. If not more. I was livid. I don't know what but he seemed like the best target for me to vent upon. After-all it's because of him I was stuck here. It's because of him I'm tangled in this mess.

I guess my mind was too slow to comprehend what was happening as in the next second, the demons eyes softened for the first time since I'd been around him, as his arms enveloped around me.

I was too weak to fight back but also too weak to lift my arms and reciprocate the act. Instead I opted to rest my head against his chest, his heart beating below me.

Astaghfirullah. What am I doing.

The demons hand snaked around my back, whilst the other rested on my hijab clad head. We stood like this for the longest time, out heart beats in synch.