10

2 months later

The first two months of the New Years was great. Me and Josh made six months and I couldn't be more happier to have him in my life. Today I have a game and I'm really excited. This determines if we go to the playoffs. Right now I'm in practice and I look up to see Josh sitting on the bleachers. I walk over with a confused look

"Hey what are you doing here?" I said kissing him

"Just came to look at my baby before her big game" he said smiling at him

"Oh so you are coming?" I asked surprisingly

"Of course I am. You always made it to my big games and now I'm going to make it to yours" he said kissing my forehead

"Okay I'm gonna get back now but I'll see you later" I said kissing him and walking away

"Awww we see you with your little boo thang. Y'all are so cute" Delilah said

"How long you guys been together?" Naomi asked

"About six months" I said messing with the ball

"Aww that's cute" she said. It sounded so fake but I didn't say anything about it

"Alright cmon girls, the opposing team is here. All I'm going to say is that you guys got this. Even if we don't win which we will, it will be okay because you guys put your hearts into it. Playoffs on three. One two three PLAYOFFS!!" We all yelled as we got onto the field and go in our positions.

.....

It was now the fourth quarter with 4 minutes left and it was a tied game. I passed the ball to Delilah and she passed it to another girl. The defender that was on me was really pushing my buttons with all the uncalled fouls and talking shit. I was really fed up. The ball was coming towards me and as I was ready to kick it, I felt a sharp pain run through my ankle. I fell down which caused a turnover for my team and the other team scored. I held my ankle in agony and I honestly felt my worries and anxiety rise. My teammates helped me get to the bench and the medical staff immediately ran over to check my ankle out. My chest caved in hard as I tried to catch my breath. Everything started moving in slow motion. My team didn't know what they were doing and that caused another score by the other team. I looked in the crowd and saw disappointed faces by the supporters. I know if I don't get back out there, I will feel like I didn't try my best to help my team win. Everything came back to fast pace and I looked at my coach.

"Coach put me back in" I said urgently

"What? No. You're hurt and I won't le- coach no offense but I don't care right now. If I get more hurt at the end of it, then I know I tried and busted my ass but I was built to fight through the pain so let me play" I said confidently. She shook her head yes and called a timeout. I got up and almost fell but I took a breath and walked over to the group huddle.

"Alright listen girls, there's not a lot of time left but if you guys have faith in Monica then you give her the ball. Win on three, one two three WIN!" The team yelled and we walked back to the field. I massaged my ankle and prepared for the next two minutes.

...

Down 1. I have the ball. My ankle is now numb but I'm playing through it. I kick the ball left and then right pass the defender. I see the wide open shot and make it. Now there is 3 seconds left and I steal the ball. I spin move pass my defender and kick the ball in time for us to win the game. I jumped up and screamed in joy. My teammates ran up to me and tackled me. We all got up and high fived the opposing team. I sat down on the bench and started crying.

"What's wrong Monica?" My coach asked rubbing my back

"I didn't think I could do it. The way my ankle was, I thought I would've lost the game for the team" I said as I continued to cry

"Hey, you did it. All those negative thoughts came with a positive outcome and that's all that matters. Like you said you busted your ass no matter the outcome of the game so there's no time for crying. Go see your family" she said as we hugged. I walked to the bleachers and hugged my mom and Josh.

"How's your ankle?" My mom asked

"It's numb so I would like to put some ice on it" I said holding onto Josh

"I'll go grab your bag and meet you at your house" he said running down the bleachers. I limped to my moms car and got in. I sat there quietly as we drove home

"What's wrong honey?" She asked touching my arm

"Nothing I'm just tired and hurting" I say gently

"Don't worry we're gonna get you a nice bath and some ice for that ankle. I'll make you some food as well" she said as we pull up to the house. I get out and see Josh is already here. I limp through the front door and straight to the bathroom. I start the water and start to strip. I get in and let the water hit my body. I sit and think about the last few seconds of the game I could've fucked up. I could've ended our season that quickly and I would've never got over that.

"Stop overthinking baby" Josh said as he scared me

"How did - because I know you. Your mom said that you didn't say much during the car ride and I already knew you were thinking the worse during the game. I know how your mind works" he said as I slightly opened the curtain and looked at him. I closed it and got up. I washed my body and turned the water off.

"Pass me my towel please" I asked and he did as told. I wrapped it around me and got out. I walked to my room and picked out some clothes.

"Turn around" I said. He did so and I got dressed quick. I saw ice on my bed and immediately laid down with it on my ankle. Josh laid down and strokes my hair.

"You okay love?" He asks kissing my head

"Tired" I said as I close my eyes

"I love you mamas" he kissed my lips and I smiled a little before I knocked out.

Comment and vote please🥰