24. Weakness || کمزوری

Tune diya hai jo Woh dard hi sahiTujhse mila hai toh Inaam hai meraتونے دیا ہے جو وہ درد ہی سہی تجھ سے ملا ہے تو انام ہے میرا

Tujhse mila hai toh Inaam hai mera
تونے دیا ہے جو وہ درد ہی سہی
تجھ سے ملا ہے تو انام ہے میرا

The golden rays of the morning sun careened in from between the carved wooden windows of the small cafe I was having my morning chai at. Despite staying at our Karachi residence, I had made it a point to have breakfast with Khanum Bibi at my university. I wrinkled my nose in annoyance at the pointed jab of the gilded rays, but raised the warm cup of tea to my lips and took a long thoughtful sip.

"The court has given a date for the hearing." I heard Khanum Bibi say in a concerned undertone, her soft swooping eyes watching me from behind the counter. It was an early Saturday morning and the place was unusually quiet.

I shrugged taking another sip of my tea, "It hardly matters, it's not like Ibrahim Taya is going to appear in court." I said almost absentmindedly. With so many court cases against my family, it had almost become customary for them to pay little heed to their court summons.

"How long will he avoid though. He will eventually have to come back," she remarked in an airy tone. "He will come back for the elections, if not this." My lips puckered into a perfect moue at her words, but I remained silent, my eyes carefully watching the burly man with a small pistol strapped in his waistband and a baton hanging on his side, scanning his surroundings like a hawk.

"You really hate them, don't you?" Khanum Bibi grinned down at me as she came around to sit on the chair opposite mine.

I ran a hand down my hair and shrugged nonchalantly. "Who would enjoy being watched 24/7." I said acerbically. "But I will flee tonight, even if it's for a few hours." I smiled with a devilish resolve.

She gasped hearing the words leave my pink lips, "You wouldn't dare." Her eyes widened in horror, "You're not exactly unknown now, people recognise you. It's dangerous." Her voice dropped down to a hushed whisper while her eyes looked over the surrounding. "Don't go anywhere without your guards."

"I'm just going to the beach." I laughed. "But without them." I narrowed my eyes at the two men strolling around the door of the cafe. "I doubt I'll ever get a chance to do something crazy like this again."

"Is your fiancé strict like your family?" The mild concern on her forehead was quickly eclipsed by the glimmer of curiosity in her eyes.

I shook my head before taking another thoughtful sip of my tea. "He isn't exactly controlling, but I don't know," I heaved a beleaguered sigh, "It sometimes feels like I have known him for ages and then there are times when I feel like I barely know him."

"Why did you not leave when your father gave you a choice?" She asked patting my hand. "This relationship will throw you back into the world you so loathed."

I adjusted my duppatta over my head and sagged into the chair, "He seemed different from all the men. He made me want to trust him or may be I just wanted to take a blind leap of faith."