3. Family || خاندان

I stepped out of the car only to be welcomed by the sweltering heat of summer

I stepped out of the car only to be welcomed by the sweltering heat of summer. My eyes involuntarily closed trying to adjust to the sudden onslaught of heat and light. The air was dry today and the sky barren, allowing the sun to bask in the glory. A lone drop of sweat trickled down my back, leaving a trail of temporary coolness in its wake.

I was visiting the Malik Haveli, or as some people often called it the Laal Mahal, after almost eighteen months yet the place seemed untouched. Named after it's characteristic colour, this red sandstone palatial Haveli has been our family home for well over a century. Heavily inspired by the opulent Mughal architecture, the impressive stature, despite its age and history, stands erect in all its splendor. Sprawled over hundreds of acres, the Haveli always had enough space to house all its residents and their secrets. This was our safe haven.

'Shanzae baji, app pohanch gai. Kitni din se apka intezar kar rahi hoon,' Huda smiled handing me a cold lemonade. My skin glistened under the heat as I lifted the ice cold drink to my mouth. This felt like heaven.

[Shanzae, you're here. I've been waiting for you.]

A gracious smile graced my face as I turned to hand the glass back to Huda. 'Thank you, Huda. God knows I needed that drink. How are you?' Huda was my personal help since I was a young girl. She was a few years older than me, but we were quick to form a bond. I'm glad to have a friend and confidant in her.

'I'm good. Choti Begum Sahiba wait for you,' Huda beamed proudly at her broken English. I had always found Huda to be a keen and inquisitive person, but it wasn't until I started schooling her that I found out how truly intelligent she was. She was a quick learner and I was a proud teacher. Teaching Huda filled me with an unknown joy, perhaps because it was the one time I could use my privilege to put some good into the society.

I returned her a proud smile, 'Where is mother? And what is on today's schedule?'

'Choti Begum Sahiba Layla baji ke saath shaam ki dawat ke liye tayar ho rahi hain. Lunch app apni family ke saath kareingi. You should hurry, it's almost time for lunch.'

I glanced at my wristwatch, I had fifteen minutes before the family sat down for lunch. It was finally time to announce my arrival. The walk to my room was a silent, expect for the occasional greetings and nods from the passing servants. The residential wing of the Haveli was usually quiet and rather private. No one apart from family, domestic staff and occasionally very close guests were allowed to enter the premise.

*****

Darting my eyes around the large recently renovated dining hall, I sent a silent prayer thankful that the rest of the family hadn't walked in yet. The last thing I wanted after a hectic day was a lecture on punctuality. My stomach rumbled and I squirmed in my seat, looking at all my favourite dishes lining the dinner table.