32. Yours || آپکی

Mere dil ki yeh dua hai, Kabhi door tu na jae

Kabhi door tu na jae

میرے دل کی یہ دعا ہے کبھی دور تو نہ جاۓ

My heart plummeted.

I stared at the deadly grey piece of weapon, carefully packed in a plastic pouch, held in front of me. Worry peppered my skin, my mind numb with confusion. "How is—" my voice dipped when I looked up and saw Aliyaar watching me with an immobile expression.

I gulped, fighting for breath. Fear warred through me. There was no way I could convince Aliyaar of my innocence. The gun he had trusted me with, now laid as evidence against him.

How could I have been so careless?

Angry tears burned my eyes, pricking them like spiky needles. But I roughly wiped them way, shaking my head vehemently. No, this wasn't the time to wallow in misery or guilt. I had to act quick, I had to convince him I had no part in this. "Aliyaar," from deep within my parched throat, my voice barely rose above a whisper. "I— I didn't. I—"

"Stop." He cut in with finality, his voice raw and furious. I flinched, startled at the hostility in his tone. The ridged lines of his forehead deepened and his brows knitted together in agitated fury. Fear gnawed at my heart, but I stood still, my eyes searching his for trust. He had to trust me.

"You have to come with us to the police station." The stern voice of the commissioner stirred from behind us. Aliyaar looked over his shoulder at the uniformed officer standing there, waiting impatiently with his fingers twisting the baton in his hand.

"You don't have arrest warrants. You can't take him." I spoke up quickly.

"But we have evidence. This gun was found at the crime spot. Aliyaar sahab has to come with us for further investigation." He said in a softer voice, but I didn't miss the calculative undertone lining his words.

Despite the tension brewing in the room, Aliyaar maintained his calm. And then slowly turned around to face the commissioner. "I need to talk to my lawyers. Please wait while I make some calls."

"This isn't your office," the commissioner snickered sarcastically. "You have to come with us now."

Aliyaar crossed his arms, his shoulders squared and his stance widened. If he was scared, there was no sign of it. His eyes narrowed with subtle amusement, while he stood there shrewdly assessing the man in front of him. "This might not be my office, but right now you stand upon my private property and without proper arrest warrants you can only remove me under duress. And with your current track record, I'm sure you do not wish to entertain yet another lawsuit." Intent laced his voice.

The commissioner stiffened visibly, a flash of anger lightening up his face. "Are you threatening the Police?" He gritted through his tobacco ridden lips.