9. Truth || سچ

I stared outside the window, my distrait mind failing to focus on anything, except the claustrophobic comfort of the car

I stared outside the window, my distrait mind failing to focus on anything, except the claustrophobic comfort of the car. The idle hum of the engine and the soundless changing of gears offered a welcome distraction from the serene silence of the journey. It was a long drive and the blurring scenery was my only companion.

The warm summer sky washed away the greys of the previous night. The white clouds puffed up in radiant joy, slowly sailing with the wind, ready to explore the world. The heaven bound birds glided against the brilliant blue skies, celebrating the birth of a new day, relishing their freedom.

When nature hasn't caged its creations, why has man caged himself?

Shortly after reading Yaar's letter, whatever doubt I had in my mind slowly petered out. I knew Yaar cared too deeply for his family to go against them, but I had to take one last chance before tomorrow's event.

Tomorrow was Dada Jaan's birthday. Tomorrow was the day they'd announce my engagement in front of the world. Tomorrow my fate would be sealed.

I had called Yaar after reading the letter.

"I want to meet your brother," I said.

"Now?"

"Yes. Can he come home? I don't have his number so I thought I'd call you."

There was a pause for a moment. "It's Sunday, We're at our farmhouse. In fact, why don't you come over. Spend the day with us."

"That won't be possible. Dada Jaan would not allow it." I said shaking my head.

"Get ready, I'll have the car sent over shortly."

I sighed. "I told you I won't be allowed. Plus I don't want five body guards prying upon our conversation."

He laughed, "I'll have Aliyaar Bhai call him. He wouldn't refuse. Just get ready. I'll meet you here." I had my doubts, but I decided to get ready.

Surprisingly, moments later Huda came in to inform me the car was waiting for me downstairs and Dada Jaan had agreed to let me go. Alone.

It was at that moment, I realised if anyone had any power in this dynamic, it was Aliyaar.

The car seamlessly glided off the highway towards a smaller, more reclusive road. And I realised we were nearing our destination. An old winding stone wall appeared, it's crevices filled with ivy and ferns, announcing the arrival of our destination. The doors flung open, and the car rounded along the driveway, slowly halting at the main door.