27.5 Wife || بیگم

Pyar dosti haiپیار دوستی ہے-

Pyar dosti hai
پیار دوستی ہے-

I had two options.

Either I could rot in this bathroom for the next few hours and hope he had forgotten what just happened or I could go out and pretend like nothing happened. But right now, neither option seemed too attractive. A rotten sigh escaped my lips and I held onto the dress in my hand. It was time to get ready.

Almost an hour later, I glanced myself in the mirror. I had bathed and changed into an elaborate blue pishwas ensemble, that gathered around me like the waves of an ocean. The bodice was fitted, and the lace sleeves clung to me like a pair of gloves. But it was the chaotic thread work of gold and silver embroidery over the length of the dress that caught my breath. The intricate pattern weaved over the netted fabric when caught the light, glimmered like flecks of gold splashed over the sea.

My hair cascaded down to my waist in spiralling curls of charcoal, almost the same colour as the kohl lining my eyes. An array of delicate jewellery lay in front of me, and my eyebrows gathered at the bridge of my nose in irritation. Being a new bride was not an easy job.

I was still contemplating upon the jewellery when a soft knock at the door interrupted my thoughts, "Shany. Jaan. How much longer do you need?" His voice sounded from behind the door.

I quickly picked up a box, "I'm coming." I called out and then quickly pinned the strands of my hair back. I took one final look at myself in the mirror, before strutting out of the room.

He was plopped up against the bed already dressed in a white cotton kurta and grey trousers. His eyes were caught on his phone, but when the door to his room creaked open, he looked up.

His eyebrows rose in approval. They framed those golden orbs that glimmered under the sunlight streaming in from the balcony door. His eyes stilled on me, bright and unwavering. The angles of his face sharp and cutting. He remained motionless, watching me intently.

I felt my cheeks burn and the air in the room suddenly grew muggy, almost stifling and tangible.

And then a spark of something flashed on his face, and a soft smile began to linger on the edge of his lips. He blinked, his eyes meeting mine again. "You look —" he paused as if looking for the right word. My breath froze in anticipation and I looked at him expectantly. Suddenly I wanted nothing more than his approval, his praise,  to hear his sweet words.

When he didn't complete his sentence, I walked up to him and sat besides him. I leaned closer, my hand covering his, "I look—" I repeated, hoping he'd finish the sentence. I drew a soft breath, my eyes pinned at him in the agonising wait.