26. Conditions ||شرط

Dil se faisla karo Dimagh tarkeeb nikal lega

Dil se faisla karo
Dimagh tarkeeb nikal lega

دل سے فیصلہ کرو
دماغ ترکیب نکال لے گا۔

The burning furnace of the sun hung over the horizon, the redness of the day seeping into the wending darkness of the night. The leaves rustled in hushed whispers, secretly enjoying the dilemma agonising my soul. Tonight even their sweet lingering scent couldn't provide me with any solace, rather they were but a source of utter torment.

Against my better judgement, I looked up and caught his burning eyes watching me with a searing intensity, tearing into my soul and watching me combust with the flames of my untrammelled emotions. And then began yet another sinful crusade, yet another vainly battle, yet another struggle for power.

Fire and ice.
Longing and lust.
Desire and ire.

I did not look away, my eyes narrowed and undeterred. The myriad colours in those honeyed eyes glimmered with a raw determination and a silent resolution lay mysteriously hidden behind those enchanting orbs. But tonight I would not let his fire burn me. The ice in me was enough to thwart even the fiercest of infernos.

"Stop it, Shanzae. Your father and grandfather are watching." My mother chided behind me, her rebuke wrapped in a low whisper, only for me to hear. "You're glaring at him like you're ready to skin him alive."

I threw a look over my shoulders to see my mother standing behind me with a tense, reproachful expression, the greys of her eyes doing a poor job of concealing her disapproval of my actions. I felt her nudge my shoulder slightly, urging me to turn my attention back to where my grandfather sat besides my father.

I blinked hard, my mind refocusing at the predicament at hand, but not before serving him a dangerously cold stare. A spark of something flashed across his face, but it disappeared as quickly as it appeared, failing to offer anything of significance. With an irritated sigh, I turned around to face Dada Jaan.

"Beta, I am awaiting your answer. Do you give your consent to having your nikkah be held this weekend?" Dada Jaan spoke with an enviable calm in his voice. For a split second his eyes darted in Aliyaar's direction, before he turned back to me, his curled, white eyebrows furrowed with impatience.

"N—" I pursed my lips shut, swallowing my nerve-riddling fury. The sky outside had darkened and the night had arrived undeceived. The last remnants of the day had hidden behind the night's unfurling wings that had sprawled themselves against the sky. Just like the night had no choice but to arrive, I too was once again left without a choice.

"Shany." My dad urged softly.

"What choice do I have?" I asked, my tone edged in ice.