4. Rain || برسات

I sat idly in the winged chair, my eyes still upon the mullioned windows taking in the picturesque view of the gardens ahead, the scene perfectly framed by the generous folds of the curtain

I sat idly in the winged chair, my eyes still upon the mullioned windows taking in the picturesque view of the gardens ahead, the scene perfectly framed by the generous folds of the curtain. Rich hues of orange gold blended with purple, painting the sky in a swirl of colours, as the sun continued to descend. Huda shuffled around the room, putting together the clothes and jewels Layla had so graciously sent. I glanced upon the racks lined with the finest of clothes, a heady mix of contemporary and vintage pieces.

It was almost time to head downstairs and I was still undecided. A frown settled upon my face as I mulled over the dresses, finally settling upon a black silk dress that shimmered with golden thread-work around the neck and back. My fingers fleeted over the soft fabric and I nodded my head in appreciation. "I'll wear this. Can you pass me those jhumkas?"

"Shukr Allah ka! Mujhe tou laga app ajj tayar hi nahi hongi!" Huda exasperatedly raised her hands in the air. The girl was prone to dramatics. "I go call the makeup artist," she called out behind her, leaping for the door.

[Oh thank god! I didn't think you'd get ready before the day ended.]

Despite my earlier reservations, I was unexpectedly feeling rather calm. Whether it was because of the amiable family lunch earlier or the prospect of finally meeting Yaar, I do not know, but the emptiness within me evaporated as ease finally set in and I was looking forward to a convivial evening. 

"I think we're done. Have a look, do you want any changes?" The girls doing my hair and make up announced, breaking my chain of thought. I turned to see my reflection in the mirror.

I looked .... enchanting?

I wasn't sure, if it was the mystique of the black colour, the snug fit of the dress or the simplistic magnificence of the hair and makeup, but I looked every bit an enchantress ready to entice. I scoffed at the silly notion, it's not like I was looking to impress anybody. Or was I?

"Thank you, this looks perfect. My mother will be proud of me." I chuckled.

The girls soon left and I glanced at myself in the mirror one last time before heading for the door. Exuding confidence in my stature, I waltzed down the hallway with an effortless saunter. The soft click of my heels echoing in the warm room, flooded with the fading gleam of the setting sun. The curtains billowed in the soft summer breeze. The air was ripe with a pleasant, dewy petrichor. I stopped in my track, as realisation dawned upon me.

It was drizzling. The first rain of the season.

Excitement rushed through my veins, and I stepped outside in the open courtyard. The soft drops of water kissed my skin and soaked the dry earth beneath me. I lift my hand, cherishing the feel of the sweet pattern the liquid globes created upon my skin. It was just a soft drizzle, but I welcomed the feeling.