34. Prostration || سجدہ

Sajde kiye lakhon duein mangiPaya hai Meine phir tujheسجدے کئے لاکھوں دعائیں مانگی پایا ہے مینے پھر تجھے

Paya hai Meine phir tujhe
سجدے کئے لاکھوں دعائیں مانگی
پایا ہے مینے پھر تجھے

For the next few days, my mornings were occupied with the orphanage. As the completion of the residential building edged near, I could feel a rush of excitement flow through my veins. This was the first time I had undertaken such an extensive project and I couldn't have been more proud of what I had achieved. Yet despite the excitement, a frisson of unease settled within me. This orphanage was important to Aliyaar, but apart from a few general briefs, he had never really interfered in my work. While his blind trust in me was encouraging, I couldn't help but worry about his reaction.

But in the worry that drew upon my forehead, a realisation dawned upon me, clear as day. I craved his approval. Be it something trivial like my choice of hair or something more important like the orphanage, I was always looking to make sure he was happy. Nothing pleased me more than to see him fall into a satisfied reverie every night when I'd sink into his arms and retell him the events of the day.

But today it wasn't the orphanage I was excited about. I glanced at the clock and then wiped my flour laden hands with a tissue paper. "I'm going to my room. Can you take care of this?" I turned to the stout  old chef standing besides me. His lips curled into a kindly smile and he nodded, taking the bowl from my hand.

"You need not worry about anything, Choti Begum Sahiba. All arrangements will be to your liking." He tried to reassure me for the umpteenth time this morning.

"I just want everything to be perfect." My voice trailed off as I turned back to the counter and eyed the vegetables lying in front of me. A soft chuckle resounded from besides me and the chef looked at me with an amused expression.

"Everything will be perfect, beta." He said with a laugh, despite the affection in his voice, his tone remained respectful, "We've been doing this for years now. You need not worry." I forced a convincing smile at him and took a deep breath before slowly walking out of the kitchen.

The corridors and staircase leading up to my room were mostly quiet, apart from a few maids scurrying around with mops and brooms doing the daily rounds of their morning cleaning. As I approached my room, I hurriedly swung the door open to reveal my husband standing by the mirror painstakingly fixing his hair.

He threw a glance over his shoulder, acknowledging my presence before turning back to the mirror carefully running the brush over his head. Oh the time he spent perfecting his hair! I shook my head, closing the door behind me.

Just when I turned back, a mischievous thought popped in my head and I smiled wickedly. I quickly hopped over to him and wrapped my arms around his waist, pushing myself into his back, making his body sway in tandem with mine. Not having anticipated the unexpected hug, his body froze and his hand jerked, tussling his pristinely set hair.