8. Feelings

No One's POV

Caroline froze. She wasn't breathing, her eyes were wide and her face was pail. Still glued to her side, Klaus knows she needs to calm down and start breathing again.

Klaus gets up, staring at his brother and Declan - lips pulled back he gives a terrifying growl towards them. Declan's heart starts to race at the thought of what he might do. Elijah moves to put Declan behind himself and quickly moves towards the door. Keeping his eyes on Klaus, Elijah pushes Declan and himself out the door.

Klaus made one last big growl towards them as they stepped outside the room and with his head pushed the door shut only hoping they got the message to stay out.

Leaving only Klaus and Caroline together.

He ran back to her unsure of what to do, she is still not breathing. He can't threaten her to start breathing again, he can't talk her down - both would require a voice - so doing the only thing he physically can, he started nudging her shoulder and lets out a small whimper doing his best to soothe her. 

Caroline let out the breath she was holding but it is still uneven. Noticing she still is not okay he continues to soothe her running his head against hers and nudges her neck. She moves to bury her head in his fur, he lets her.

Caroline's mind is running wild. The thoughts of being a mother, sure she had believed that to be a possibility before she turned but that dream died the same day she did. Feeling comforted by Klaus she starts to calm down but then she remembers it is not just her kid it is also his. 

Caroline is having a panic attack.

Her breathing is again out of control. Klaus feels it too. He has no idea what to do this time, but it seems his wolf does. His bones start to break getting off the bed he lays himself on the floor and waits for the involuntary shift to finish. The transformation now, is nearly painless but it still takes out a lot of energy out of him. Once he is full transformed back he is still laying on the floor. His back is to the bed, breathing ragged. Opening his eyes he did not realize he had closed Klaus vamp speeds around his room and gathered himself clothes in no more than five seconds. He is back at Caroline's side, her breathing no better than before, her eyes are wide and she is looking off into the distance. 

Climbing on the bed he says "Come here, love." Caroline without hesitation lets him comfort her. Letting him whisper 'everything is going to be fine' and 'I will keep you safe' in her ear. Effectually calming her down she falls asleep this way, still clutching Klaus as if he is her lifeline, while Klaus returns the embrace gust as passionately. When he hears her breathing even out he knows she is asleep. Never wanting to leave her side he is still holding onto her sleeping form only listening to her breathing and the - small but still there - heartbeat of the child growing in Caroline. Caroline's child, his child, their baby.

***

It has been a week since Caroline and Klaus were told she was pregnant. Caroline was a bundle of emotions and Klaus sensed that. Ignoring his own and completely putting them aside, he made it his mission to comfort her. Entirely doting on her heaping her calm and making sure she was okay.

Elijah has never seen his brother act this way in caring for another person and his shock was entirely evident to Klaus who simply ignored it.

Over the last week Declan and Elijah have been doing extensive research on the true mate bond. Something they have figured out is why Klaus transformed back, they think that their bond sensed that since Caroline was not going to calm down with wolf Klaus so it was doing everything to comfort her which includes turning him back.

Declan and Elijah have gathered all their research and are now ready to share it with the couple. Klaus, Caroline, Elijah and Declan have gathered in the living room of the Miakelson mansion. Klaus and Caroline sitting on one side of the clutch while Declan and Elijah are on the other.

Declan starts first. "The true mate bond is beautifully intricate... Everything that the books told us were how the bond makes it so the pair are comforted, protected, and happy. That each their mate is there when the other is in need." 

Glancing at the books in front of him he continues. "One story told of when a pair of true mates where the male was in danger and could not defend himself and how his mate was forced into the change to save him when it wasn't even a full moon... We also found that sometimes a mate will be forced into the change to comfort the other, just by being there. When you are in your form, world is in its simplest form... We think that is what happened when Klaus was forced into the change. Caroline you were stressed out and pregnant. Your bond sensed that and brought you, Klaus to comfort her." Declan explained moving from Klaus to Caroline. "Klaus, when you were in wolf form you would not under any circumstances let anyone even close to Caroline. You were protecting her. Even if you did not know why your instinct to protect your mate ingrained itself into your every action and reaction... Real wolves are protective by nature and that instinct is only heightened in alphas. Klaus, I suspect if Elijah was not your brother you would not have let him remotely as close as you did, and if I was ever there without Elijah I doubt you would have let me in you eyesight, with me being supernatural." Klaus and Caroline are trying to absorb the information but it is clear in their faces that it is a lot.

"Niklaus, you in the past melena you have never shown any slighted display of concern for others feelings, towards anyone." - Elijah says to Klaus who is glaring at him - "But... in the few days you have been with Caroline you could not give a single thought to anything other than her." - Klaus' face softens as he turns to glance at Caroline - "Her feelings, her worries, her needs and you have attended to all. Not giving a care to think about yourself. Your bond is showing through the concern you are giving to Caroline."

After a couple of minutes of silence to let the pair absorb the information Caroline opens her mouth the say something when someone knocks on her front door. 

"Caroline?"

OH Cliffhanger. Who is at the door? How will Klaus react to a visitor? What will Caroline do to explain a witch and two of the most notoriously dangerous vampires in history in her living room having girl talk?

PLEASE COMMMENT I WANT TO KNOW WHAT YOU THINK!!!