14. What Do We Do Now?

No One's POV

For anyone who ever met Klaus they knew he was not a kind and forgiving man, he was not the type of man who you believed could ever love or ever be loved. But then Caroline came along, she spoke her mind to him, she yelled at him, she did basically everything anyone was terrified to do. But he fell in love with her, somehow she was different. Klaus himself does not know what was so different about her but he fell in love with every part of her.

So here he is laying with the woman he loves as she runs her finger through his hair as he lays his head on her chest. His arms around her stomach and her visible baby bump. Both of them naked after making love to each other. Laying there in absolute peace both listening to their child's heart beat.

Caroline is left alone with her thoughts, she is thinking about how much she loves Klaus and her child. She is thinking about her childhood, about when she was little living with her mom, growing up without her dad and friends who truly never appreciated her.

"I want to leave Mystic Falls." Klaus looked up at her but let her speak, "When I was growing up, my dad was gone with his boyfriend, my mom was constantly out working, leaving me alone at home with friends who never really cared about me. I want something different for our baby. I want them to know that we love them and to have a family who they know they can count on. I want better for our baby than Mystic Falls." she paused for a moment,

"I love my mom and our relationship has gotten better in the past year but she is not enough to make me stay. Klaus you are the love of my life, my mate. You helped me to come to terms with the things that have happened to me, you have helped me truly love myself and gave me a child I never knew I wanted. I want to start my new life with you and our baby somewhere there are no bad memories of being tortured, betrayal, death, or the looming though of our child playing in the forest with an unknown number of unmarked graves just under their feet. But somewhere we are safe and are free of judgment and I can love you and our family in peace."

Somewhere in Caroline's rant Klaus propped himself so he was directly over Caroline. "Sweetheart, Caroline..." She looked at him. "I have been waiting to take you away from this town for what feels like forever." Klaus smirked
"I love you Niklaus." She felt the goosebumps on his body and smiled. "Though the way I see it is we are not leaving right now... Niklaus." he groaned and leaned down to kiss her passionately.

*******

Several hours later Klaus went back to his house to speak to Elijah and tell him that he and Caroline are leaving while Caroline talked to her mom.

Trying to get her mom on the phone was not the difficult part and coming up with a guilt trip to get her back home was not either but once Liz was sitting in front of her ready to listen... This was the hard part. So Caroline being Caroline rambled

"I know you know you being gone for the last several days at work and sleeping at the station was not the only reason I called but I really wanted to talk to you about something really serious and you might get mad... well I really don't know how you are going to react. Sad, mad, pissed off, concerned, hap-" Caroline gasped for breath after her mom cut her off with a chuckle. "Caroline, why don't you say what you want to say and I will listen?" Caroline closed her eyes for a moment and took a calming breath.

Caroline explained everything to her mother about Klaus shifting and running like a bat-out-of-hell straight to her, about Declan's spell, being Klaus' mate, being pregnant and about how they planned on leaving.

Throughout all of it Liz was silent and just listened. "Mom?" Caroline said after she finished talking and her mom said nothing. "Mom a-are you okay?" Liz looked into Caroline's eyes as her own filled with water.

"You're really pregnant?"

"Y-yes."

"And are you happy? With all of this, Klaus I mean."

Caroline gave her mother a small but heartwarming smile "More than I have ever been. I love Klaus and he helped me to love myself just the way I am. Mom I really do love him, not just because of the baby or because we are mates but because he has shown me more compassion, love and he has taught me more about the world and myself everyday."

Liz smiled. "Caroline... You must know I will never be Klaus' biggest fan and I will need time to get used to him but I just want to be happy. And if he is what makes you happy then what the hell what anyone else thinks." Caroline smiles with watery eyes. "But if I am not the first phone call, after Klaus when you are in labor I will never forgive you." Caroline laughs and hugs her mom.

"Of course. And compared to when he found out about my pregnancy, by that stage, I doubt Klaus would leave me alone."

*******

For the past hour or so Caroline and her mother have been talking, laughing and together they have been packing some of Caroline's things. Klaus and Caroline had decided they would leave the next morning.

Anyone who knew Caroline knew that she never packed light. She was always the one packing for every occasion and the one everyone would reach out to when they forgot a hair brush or they wanted to borrow a shirt. But looking at the bedroom she had grown up in Caroline felt herself not reaching for many things other than the occasional favorite shirt or memento.

After she was done packing her room looked relatively the same, only missing some clothes to change into, her curling iron, special jewelry she could bare part with and a picture of her mom and dad helping 5 year old Caroline out of a tree.

Caroline looked around at the comfortable bedroom with everything she would ever need in her teenage years and realized she grew up. Caroline has been through so much. She suffered to manipulate Elena, she was murdered to send a message, turned to save her life, used to play a game. She has lost so much, but gained something even better.

If Caroline had not been put through all of the trials and tribulation she would not be where she is now. She would not be with the love of her life and mate, she would not be pregnant with their child, and she would not be strong, fearless, ageless. Caroline is ready to leave this behind. Finally realizing it she turned around and left.

*******

Where should I have them go: New Orleans, London, New York, Paris? Should I have them travel the world with their baby? What do you think should happen after Klaus and Caroline leave Mystic Falls?