𝙩𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮

there had been a whole week of just my mom and i catching up and i was so grateful for that. i was able to tell my mom about all my friends, all the things we did together and even about the different teachers i had. though, i did have to change the subjects they taught when telling her.

it was a sunday and my mom had invited shinso's family over for dinner. i had been feeling anxious the whole night, my lips suffering from me gnawing on them so often.

the doorbell had rung, announcing the shinso family's arrival, and my mom headed over to the door to open it.

"hi, hoshi!" my mom greeted loudly, her excitement from seeing her friend never diminishing.

the family came into the kitchen to greet me, tai coming over to give me a big hug. i put down the knife i was chopping vegetables with and hugged the little boy.

hoshi had kissed my cheek, arms occupied with bags. shinso came in behind everybody else, baby sister on his hip.

fuck, men with kids was a turn on..

i nodded in his direction but his gaze didn't even last for a few seconds. ouch

"shoot, i forgot the bottle of wine for the pasta." hoshi realized as she looked through the bag she was carrying. "i left it on the counter at home."

"i can go buy one, if you want." i offered, washing my hands and wiping them down on a towel.

"that'd probably be easier than going back home." hoshi pindered. "but would you know which one to get?"

"i could probably figure out, no?" i thought. how hard would it be?

"take hitoshi with you. he knows what it looks like, right hoshi?" my mom said, shooting a look over to shinso's mom.

shinso had been quiet throughout the whole exchange.

"oh, right. hitoshi, go with her, yeah?" hoshi asked.

"yeah, sure. we can take my car."

"ah, no need. there's a store you guys can walk to down the street. it's not far and won't take long." my mom gestured towards a wall, trying to emphasize how short the walk was.

i snapped my head at my mom, she turned to look at me.

are you crazy?! don't make me go alone with him!, i tried to tell her with my eyes.

"um, okay. we'll go along i guess." shinso's expression unreadable.

hoshi took dosei out of shinso's hold and walked out to the door. "be careful!"

shinso and i awkwardly walked down my driveway and we headed towards the store.

we walked at a distance from each other and i started falling behind on purpose. he knew where the store was and didn't need me to guide him.

i distracted myself by kicking loose rocks on the sidewalk and spinning in circles, like an idiot.

i had spotted a huge rock on the pavement, perfect for kicking, and i tried to kick it forward so i wouldn't lose it. i had miscalculated the force behind my kick and the rock flew and hit shinso's calf.

he snapped his head back to me. "can you stop kicking shit?"

there was a bite behind the words that left me shocked, not having heard that kind of tone from shinso since high school.

he turned back to face the street in front of us and i started to walk normally.

without the sound of my shoes scuffing the floor, the quiet was more prominent. distant beeping of car horns and rumbling of motors could be heard, though.