Chapter 5

I am scrolling through hate comment after hate comment as I try to take a deep breath and fill my lungs with air. My breathing is shallow and I don't know if it's all the comments that has me like this or the fact I am trying to keep still in Matts arms. He is still asleep but I woke up hours before my alarm wide awake and anxious. My original plan was to read, which I did for about two hours but then I got bored.

I was scrolling through instagram when Matt's picture from last night popped up. It was a picture of me wearing his gown completely swallowed up by it while he held me from behind kissing my giggling face holding up his graduation program. The program is a little bent and wrinkled from him fucking around with it the entire ceremony. The sleeves of his gown are bunched up at my elbows as my hands hold his forearm wrapped around my shoulders. My engagement ring is glistening in the lights of the BJC on full display for the world. It is such a happy picture and my heart was so full until a comment caught my eye.

Here before Matt starts deleting comments it reads in some stupid font she clearly googled.

I know I should ignore it, I mean I knew he sometimes deleted comments about me that are mean or really inappropriate comments, but curiosity gets the better of me. I open the comments and begin scrolling. The top ones are from friends congratulating Matt and gushing over the cute picture. Then I see the girls comment and click the responses. OMG you noticed that too, he really does the most, I bet it's because they're true, I bet she is using him, do you guys also think she is pregnant, duh why else would they get married so young, duh you think he actually loves her, she's not even that pretty, OMG right. I stop reading, I can't anymore. There are more mostly from girls our age but a few older adults mostly fans tell him not to throw his career away from some girl.

Matt shifts so my head falls off his chest onto his bicep while his entire body wraps around me. His eyes are still closed but he lets out a content sigh as I relax into his hold. "Good morning angel," he whispers in his deep still sleepy voice.

I remain silent locking my phone and dropping it between us so I can grab Matt with both hands. Without even knowing it he has brought me out of my mental spiral and back to reality. We love each other and no one else needs to believe that except him and I.

"I can't believe my girl graduates today." He says it more to himself than to me but I can't stop the stupid face splitting grin that results.

"I can't believe my boy graduated yesterday," I tease, finally letting go of all the comments.

"Honestly I am more excited for your graduation than I was for my own."

"Why," I question, pulling back just enough that I can see his face.

"I am proud of you. So god damn proud of you Sydney. Fuck I didn't know I could be so proud of one little person until you slammed into my life."

"Literally slammed," I laugh fondly remembering that first day of Junior year. It is forever burned into my memory. I can tell you exactly what I was wearing, what Matt was wearing, where I was standing, who was standing where, which of his friends were walking with him, how his hard body felt when I backed up into him, his heart stopping eyes burning into me as he rudely scolded me.

"I love you," he whispers against the shell of my ear as we both reminisce. It's not long before we are lost in the familiar feeling of each other using the extra time we have before the annoying alarm goes off.

When we finally get out of bed and begin getting ready for my graduation I feel light and happy. The best I have felt since we got engaged honestly. Every doubt that has crept into my mind lately, every hate comment, every whisper on campus is thrown off a cliff and disintegrates at the bottom.