Chapter 31

*Matts POV*

"Mom this is too much," I whine for the 10th time. We are at the Hamptons house and there are about 200 people here to celebrate me winning Olympic Gold. There are red white and blue decorations all over the house and backyard, a DJ, multiple food trucks, and more alcohol than I have ever seen in my life.

"Shut up, you deserve all this, I am so proud of you Matt." She dabs at her eyes and I know the tears are about to come. I just saw her a week ago but when we arrived last night she cried anyway.

"Sorry mom, I just think it is crazy to have 200 people here when the wedding which all these people are invited to is less than 2 months away."

I feel the sting of her hand slapping my bicep and I know I said something wrong without having to look at her scolding glare. "Your wedding is to celebrate you marrying Sydney! Just because you won an Olympic medal doesn't mean you can take attention away from Sydney on her big day!"

"It is my day too," I grumble rubbing my arm.

"Please no one is there for you sweetie, I am your mom and even I am more interested in Sydney."

"I get it," I shrug, "I am always more interested in her."

"Aw that is cute, now go mingle. There is a line building of people who want to see your medal. Your first of many," she yells before disappearing into the sea of people.

Sydney and I decided to keep everything to ourselves right now until after my doctor's appointment with the specialist and the wedding. We want all the answers we can possibly have and we don't want to ruin the wedding. The only person we are telling this weekend is Julia. Sydney asked if I would be ok if we told her since Amanda and Tyler know and after what happened last time the four of us kept a secret from Julia I was quick to say yes. But that isn't until tomorrow so today I am shoving it out of my mind.

I walk over to my mom's sister and give her a big hug. "Hi auntie"

"You have made me quite popular at work kiddo," she laughs while hugging me.

"Well you're welcome," I laugh and pull the medal off my neck and hand to her. She takes it very carefully and I have to bite back a laugh. I was super gentle with it too at first but then some other athletes I was doing press with this week were saying that these things can withstand anything. So of course I called Tom over and we put it to the test. Poor Sydney got home from work to me and Tom hiding under the kitchen table while the medal swung around stuck to the ceiling fan. Not our finest moment; I won't lie.

"You know she's really proud of you."

"I know," I sigh looking down at my shoes. My dad said the same thing to me on the plane but like now I am not really in the mood to talk about my mom. Sydney hasn't brought her up too much knowing right now it is sensitive for me. I don't want to blame her for this but when Sydney is waking up from a nightmare refusing to tell me what it was about it is hard. I know this is killing her despite her brave face. As much as I love and will always love my mom I am protective over Sydney in a way I didn't even know was possible. I never thought someone else would take up more of my heart than my mom but here we are.

"Good, don't ever forget," she tells me while handing my medal back to me.

More people come up to me and congratulate me and hold the medal. I don't want to be rude but I am pretty bored of the small talk. In the yard I can see all my friends playing games together. All my high school friends are here, most of the guys I wrestled with in college and other friends I made there, and the couple of friends I have made since living in DC most of which I met because of Sydney, are all having a great time. While I love my family and am grateful for this I also want to just ditch the medal with someone else and go join the fun.