Chapter 26

*Matt POV*

Waking up with Sydney next to me feels like a dream. I lay awake for a while just holding her close to me. Trying to delay the inevitable.

Eventually I get up and find my roommate Dave sitting at the little table texting away. "Sorry about..." I motion to the closed bedroom door.

"Don't if my girl wasn't here with me I would be doing the same thing the second she arrived. Just can we not have visitors once the games actually start?"

Dave is a real good dude and I am so thankful he is my roommate. I haven't really made an effort to get to know him but I guess better late than never? "Absolutely dude, I promise no distractions. We've got golds to win."

Dave laughs, "maybe you have a gold to win I mean come on you're Matthew Dean a literal fucking legend but I will be happy if I even podium at all."

I roll my eyes. If Sanderson heard that talk from me my practice today would be absolute hell. He's one of those reach for the stars types who believes you should never settle for second and it has rubbed off on me. "This is a winners only room so you better get a gold or I am locking you out."

Dave just shakes his head at me and gets up to answer the door. His girlfriend is waiting for him and when she sees me she perks up. We have only talked once the day I arrived and she was in our room. Since then I have been so busy throwing my pity party in bed I haven't seen her again. "Morning," I chirp as I open the fridge for a water.

"Morning," she waves back before they both head out to god knows where. Dave leaves our room at like 8am most mornings and doesn't come home until 11pm most nights sometimes even later. I would love to know what those two are doing all day together that he is always gone.

Once they leave, I place two Advils and a water on the nightstand for Sydney and head back into the living room area and ask Sanderson if we can move around today's practice schedule. He agrees but reminds me it is back to the grind tomorrow, which I agree. There is still a gold medal to be won and like I said this is a winners only room.

After that I call Amanda. I am pretty sure she spent her entire day waiting by the phone for this moment because she picks up on the first ring and immediately starts screaming at me. Choices words I can proudly say she learned from me are thrown around. There are several threats against my life made. And somewhere in there she says I should pay her for putting up with my stupidity. Eventually the yelling ends and we have a serious conversation about what I have to say to Sydney today. She reminds me she will likely be mad and might storm out but that does not mean I get to throw in the towel with my relationship. I agree that I am in this as long as Sydney is. Once we've gotten past all that she tells me she found a few places doing research and that I shouldn't accept this has to be a death sentence, not without a fight at least. I tell her I will consider the stuff she found once I get home and she is satisfied enough with that she lets me hang up and go check on my girl.

It is only 9am so I don't expect her to be awake. I decide to grab my headphones and crawl back into bed and watch some netflixs while she sleeps. I would go watch it in the living room but I want to be here when she wakes up. She probably doesn't remember me picking her up from the bar so I don't want her to panic and think she's in some stranger's room.

I get a few episodes of this new Formula 1 show in before she wakes up with a groan. She stretches out like a cat next to me nearly pushing me off the bed as she does. I don't even bother speaking and just hand her the water and Advil. Poor thing is hungover and I have to tell her news I know will crush her.

She takes the Advil and takes a few small sips of water before shaking her head and pushing it away. I sit up now prepared for the fact she might throw up. Thankfully her braid stayed in her sleep so I guess I did a half decent job with that.