Chapter 7

Matt's POV

The rhythmic sound of my fist hitting the bag is so relaxing I am actually getting sleepy. But that doesn't slow me down as I continue the pattern, left-left-right-left-right-right-left-right. My eyes are closed as I let my years of training do all the work. I have been doing this so long my hands are numb but I just keep pushing.

"You know, you are really hard to read." TJ's unexpected voice scares me but lucky for him I am too tired to throw a punch his way.

The moment my concentration is broken my arms fall limp at my side. "Hmm," I finally mumble while shaking my arms hoping to get some feeling back.

"You," he repeats, "you're impossible to read. You've been laser focused today more so than usual and I can't tell if you're in a good mood or a bad one."

"Oh, good." I am not good with my emotions still. Sydney has helped and I have gotten better with my family and my really close friends but to most people I am still pretty closed off. "Actually great," I amend in an attempt to be a little more open. TJ has given me so many opportunities and continues to help me the least I could do is be friendly.

"Oh? So everything is good with Sydney?"

Ah there it is. TJ likes me but the only reason why he helps me train and have full run of the gym and a set of keys so I can come in whenever and as of a few days ago hired me as a trainer, is all because of Sydney. The day I took a bullet to save that girl a lot changed. People that love her gave me whatever I wanted because they felt they owed me. I don't feel that way but I stopped making a big deal out of it because I know that if roles were reversed I would do the same.

"Yeah yeah, things are really coming together." I pull off my gloves and drop to the floor next to my bag so I can find my phone. Sydney if coming here after work but not to train we are meeting her friends from work for dinner.

"Have you done any wedding planning," TJ asks, dropping on the floor next to me and watching Bronson meekly kick at a different bag. Bronson tries the kick again, willing the bag to move with the same force it does when his dad does that move.

"We hired a wedding planner last night and we are going home for Labor Day in a few weeks so hopefully while we are in New York we can book a venue." He nods and then we both laugh as Bronson steps back in frustration before running into the bag full speed.

"Dad this bag is so heavy," Bronson screams as he once again tries to shoulder the bag which barely moves.

"Yeah kid it's called a heavy bag for a reason," TJ shoots back, making no attempts to get up and help his struggling son.

The frustrated 7 year old gives trying to get any help from his dad and looks to me instead. "Matt when did you start training?"

"I was like 13 at the time? Maybe a little younger?" He nods and turns again to assess the bag.

After a few minutes of us silently watching him struggle I get up and walk over to him. "Hey so if you want a better kick you want to hit the bag with this part of your leg not this part." I slowly kick the bag giving him time to watch where my leg connects to the bag. He thinks about it for a moment before trying to replicate what I just showed him. I give him a few more tips and watch him get the kick right a few times before going back to my spot.

"You're good with kids," TJ notes as I pull my phone out and answer Sydney's text that she is leaving work.

"My little sister has given me tons of practice," I remark casually. She has but I have always been good with kids, even before she was born.

"Have you and Syd talked about having kids?"

"Umm sort of?" The question catches me off guard.

"Like how many you want and when?"