Chapter 35

*Matts POV*

I open my eyes slowly, the lights above me feeling too bright. My head feels foggy as things start to come into focus. The first thing I notice is Sydney kneeling next to me a look of utter relief taking over her face.

"Hi handsome," she smiles, fresh tears streaking down her face.

I try to sit up but she pushes me down gently. Why am I on the floor? "What did I miss," I ask as she brushes a few stray pieces of hair from my forehead softly and Dr.Hogan hands her something.

"How you feeling Matt," he asks crouching down next to me as Sydney places something damp on my head.

"Confused," I tell him truthfully, grabbing Sydney's free hand for support. She is my anchor and some of the anxiety melts away as she meets my eyes and gives my hand a soft squeeze.

"I bet. Do you think you can sit up?"

"I think so." He gives me a nod and I slowly sit up letting the damp cloth fall from my head.

"Let's help him onto my couch," he tells Sydney gesturing to the small couch against the wall. They both take one of my arms around their shoulder and help me slowly get up and onto the couch where I lay down against the pillows. Sydney taps my head and I lift it enough that she can sit and I can rest my head in her lap.

"What happened," I ask.

"You fainted," Dr. Hogan explains. "Sometimes when people feel a strong emotion really suddenly it causes them to faint, which is what happened to you. Do you remember what I said prior to you fainting?"

I pause for a minute trying to push pass the haze to try to remember. It takes a few moments but finally it clicks and I remember. He said the tests were wrong and I was fine. "Are you... are you sure?"

"Positive. You aren't even a carrier for it."

"So my kids... they won't..."

"If you have kids they will never have to worry about this. You aren't a carrier so Sydney even if you were your kids would still be perfectly fine."

I am again overwhelmed as I try to process this news. Once again for the second time in less than a year my life is being completely flipped and all the plans I thought were set in stone are being completely derailed. Not that I am complaining this is better than anything I could have asked to come out of today but it is a lot to wrap your head around.

"I have another appointment to get to but take your time no rush to leave. Again I am sorry for what your doctor put you through but congratulations, its rare I get to give such good news." Dr.Hogan shakes my hand and Sydneys and we both mutter thank yous as he leaves his office giving us privacy.

It is silent in the room. I twist onto my back and look up at Sydney. Her hand is over her mouth trying to hide the soft sobs of relief. I bite my bottom lip as my own tears follow.

Sydney grabs a tissue and blows her nose after a little while of both of us crying. "Can we go home? Like home home," she asks finally as I sit up finally.

"Let's go home home my girl."

We thank the nurse at the desk as we leave the office and get back into the elevator. Another couple is already in there holding a little blue bundle. I look down at Sydney as she looks up at me. I don't need to say it out loud because we are already both thinking the same thing, that could be us one day.

When the doors open we let the family out first before basically running out the door and away from the hospital. We are insync as we cross the street hand in hand trying to put as much distance between us and that nightmare as possible. It is over and I want to forget it ever happened as fast as I can.