12 - Cherries & Peru.

Ed Sheeran - Afterglow

Disclaimer : mentions of puke and triggering conversation of mental health.

When Zara comes out from the thick layers of covers, she gasps at the daylight greeting her against the window. She hisses in fatigue as she reaches for her phone and realises that Harry has been texting her since last night.

At some point, he had to stop himself because he figured that she had either fallen asleep or just needed space. The former was correct. Zara realises she hasn't unpacked and she's only wearing his t-shirt.

It feels weird sleeping for more than 12 hours straight. No waking up to pee or drink water or check her phone. Might be a perk of this nonsense thing her body is doing right now.

It is hard to sit up without feeling like her chest is on fire. Zara doesn't bother moving from her bed. She already had this day off anyway. Without any further thoughts, she retreats and stays planted in her bed.

There's a soft knock on the door and she remembers Poppy hasn't seen her since her return.

"Enter!" she yells.

With an excited push, Poppy rushes in and sits on the bed. The only thing she got was a text message with a pregnancy emoji and Zara did not bother to elaborate. It drove her crazy and things got worse when she returned home to find Zara sleeping away like she went hiking or something.

Poppy light tugs at the covers and peels it away from her friend's tired face. Maybe she's being dramatic but there's already an extra softness to her face and a slight glow waiting to fully show.

Poppy wants to know all the details, how far along is she? How did she know? What in the world is happening?

"Morning sunshine, should I make you some tea?" Poppy smiles.

"I need a bottle of gin," Zara clears her throat.

"No way am I letting you drown my niece or nephew in alcohol," she protests.

"Hey, I don't need you doing the whole Aunty thing, so cringe," Zara rolls her eyes.

"You are so cringe," Poppy frowns.

Zara chuckles as she slowly sits up and looks at her best friend with a sad smile. They share a long hug for a moment before Zara pulls away.

At this point even holding someone might send her into tears and it is frankly irritating. When she pulls away from the hug, Poppy sizes her up and moves closer to hold her. This is shocking for everyone but there's something a little sweet about it. It is a bittersweet experience.

It's one of those moments where things automatically change in the blink of an eye.

"I'm pregnant, Pops," Zara sniffs.

"How far along are you?" she asks, calmly.

"I don't know. I suspect I'm almost two months gone," she replies with a sigh.

"Have you told your mum?" Poppy asks.

"God forbid. I don't need her taking the first flight here, no way," Zara quickly says.

"You know she'll land and take you with her," she smiles.

"I don't need any of that," she sniffs again.

"How's Harry?" Poppy smiles, staying calm and composed.

"Happiest man on earth," Zara says with a dry tone.

"Strange man, that one," she slowly shakes her head.

"For real though," she speaks up. "He's actually happy about this."