Secrets and Lies Chapter 2

Chris was only too happy to accept the invitation down to the hotel for the meet up with all the band.  Over the difficult times of the last few months, she and Anna had become very close again.  She got on well with Sandy and Chloe too.  The four of them had had some girlie evenings in with chick flicks, chocolate and wine, as well as some evenings out.

"It will good to get together again Anna," she had told her that evening when Anna rang to invite her to join them for the following weekend.  "And it will do you the world of good to have a short break.  Amy will take good care of the kids while you're away.  You're working way too hard at the moment.  You know what the doctor told you.  Not to overdo things."

"Yes, yes, I know," said Anna, "But I'm really enjoying what I'm doing.  I'm determined to make a success of the business.  I know I can do it."

"But you've got to have some time for the kids and Jason.  You know how much he worries about you.  He likes the four of you spending family time together."

Anna smiled as she said this.  She knew how much Jason valued time with the family, even though he also worked really hard and seemed to spend a lot of time out at meetings recently.  But his projects were going so well and he obviously was getting a lot of pleasure out of it.  A bit of a break would be good for him too.  It was ages since they had spent time just hanging around together, doing nothing in particular.

"How do you feel about seeing Howard again?" she asked her gently.  They hadn't spoken a lot about him over the last twelve months.  Anna had been trying so hard not to think about him, hoping that her feelings for him would die.  Ever since Jason had arrived home that evening and told her his news, she had been struggling to stop her emotions getting the better of her.  She forced herself to answer her.

"It will be nice to see him.  We've all been wondering how he is.  He's not very good at keeping in touch with regular emails.  I think Gary was starting to get worried about him."  She stopped, struggling to control her voice.  She could feel her eyes filling up and knew that Chris would guess what was happening.

"You ok Anna?" she asked her anxiously.  "You sound a bit upset hun.  You and Jason haven't been arguing again have you?"  

"No, no, it's not that Chris.  I just was a bit surprised by Jason's news tonight.  I'm ok," she told her.

"You're probably tired as well.  Maybe an early night would help you?"  Chris suggested.

"Yeah maybe you're right," she agreed.  "Listen I'll ring you later in the week and we'll make arrangements properly then ok?" she told Chris as she rang off.

Jason looked up from his book as she announced that she was going to have a bath and then get in bed.

"You alright?" he asked her, noticing the tired expression on her face.  "What did Chris say?  Is she going to come with us?"

"I'm ok, just think a nice warm bath will help me have a good sleep that's all," she told him.  "And yes Chris will be coming with us.  I'm talking to her again during the week."

"Good.  She'll help make sure that you enjoy yourself with the others.  I'll be up in a bit.  Just want to finish this chapter," he told her nodding to the book he'd been reading.

Anna made her way upstairs leaving him alone.  As the door closed behind her, Jason put the book down and leaned forward, rubbing his forehead.  He could tell that she was upset about something, and there were no prizes for guessing what.  Running his hand through his hair, he sighed heavily.  Howard.  His return the following week.  It was obvious that was what had upset her.  Next weekend would be a very testing time for the pair of them.