Secrets and Lies Chapter 13

Anna paid for the tickets and then took out enough money in Australian dollars to tide her over for a week or so.  She wanted to use her bank card as little as possible from now on.  Once they got to Australia she would have to look for a job.

Anna and Amy made their way over to the departures lounge just as the last call for their flight to Australia was called.  They walked quickly to the gate, Anna holding Matthew on one hip and Maisie holding Amy's hand tightly.

"Slower Amy," pleaded Maisie as Amy walked briskly.  She was practically running to keep up with her.

"Sorry sweetheart," said Amy as she scooped her up into the arms.

They crossed the tarmac and boarded the plane, amongst the last people to do so.  

As they reached their seats, Anna's phone rang.  She looked at the caller number and frowned, not recognising it, and cut it off, not knowing that it was Howard ringing.

"Could passengers please make sure all phones are now switched off now that they are on board," announced one of the stewardesses, looking pointedly at Anna.  Anna held it up and switched it off so that she could see, little knowing that she was preventing Howard from ringing her again.

She and Amy settled the children down for the long flight to Abu Dhabi.  Thoughts crowded into her mind as she sat there.  She glanced over at the two children, now fast asleep between her and Amy.  To them it would be a big adventure, especially to Maisie.  Matthew was too young to understand what was going on.

"Thank you Amy," she said quietly.  "I really do appreciate what you're doing for me, for us.  I'm sorry I had to drag you into this."

"Don't worry about it. And you didn't drag me, I came willingly.  You may need a familiar face over the next couple of weeks."

Anna smiled and nodded gratefully at her.

"I don't suppose you've had a chance to come up with any plans just yet have you?" Amy asked her.

"No not just yet.  All I know is that we'll need to book into a hotel once we get there and then I'll have to find some kind of job.  And I don't suppose things are any different in Australia than in England jobwise at the moment,"  she replied.

"We should be able to find something between us," said Amy.  "Anyway if we get stuck, I've got some savings too that we could use."

Anna shook her head at her suggestion.

"No I can't allow you to do that," she told her.  "This is my fault not yours.  I don't want to use your money Amy."

"Well it's there for an emergency," Amy insisted.  "For if we get really stuck."

"Ok.  Thank you," Anna agreed.  Even this helped her feel a bit more easy and finally the pair of them managed to fall asleep for a while.

After what seemed an age on planes and waiting in airports, they finally landed in Sydney.  Anna had lost all track of time but thought that it was Monday.  Well it was somewhere in the world!  All she and Amy wanted was somewhere to rest for a couple of days and catch up on some sleep.

They were through arrivals and out into the sunshine, leaving the airport behind them finally.  Getting into a taxi, she asked the driver to take them to a decent hotel that wasn't too expensive but close by.  The driver nodded and set off, eventually pulling up outside the Holiday Hotel Inn in Potts Point, just out of the centre of Sydney.

After booking in the large airy white marble reception and unpacking in their family room, Anna and Amy decided to take the children to the beach for a while.  They were all tired but needed to stay awake for a bit longer so that their body clocks could adjust.  A couple of hours later they were all practically asleep on their feet and headed back to the hotel.  A quick snack and bath for the kids had them ready for bed in record time.