Chapter Eight (Mystery Man)

Stiles POV-

If I had a dollar for every time I woke up in an unfamiliar place...I huff from in the stupid cage curling my tail closer to my scrawny body. When I woke up I did not expect to be stuck in small, cramped cage-for pets no less. I don't remember much from last night, though I know there was some wolf that helped me. I liked that wolf. There were other strange voices but all I remember was being placed on a cold table and pain. In the background, I faintly heard the wolf whining in protest, though I wasn't sure why.

After Deucalion's latest 'disagreement' with my ideas, I was wandering around the forest trying to work on healing my leg and I got tired. It took many painful tries but I managed to change into my fox just to be safe and then fell to the ground. I never remembered it being this exhausting but it was probably because I haven't embraced my fox in months. I knew it was stupid to let my guard down and I could have been killed but I didn't have time to think as a wolf approached moments later.

Sure my first instinct was to run and hide but I stood my ground and look it right in the eyes, the wolf seemed familiar but I didn't dwell on the thought long. Damn my life sucks, but when the wolf whimpered and started licking my head...I let him- it felt good, like a calm reassuring touch I had been deprived of for almost a year so who could judge when I practically melted against his furry-warm body.

My thoughts vanished when I heard footsteps echo through the clinic and I scold myself for not being able to have sensed another presence before it was too late. I flattened my ears and bared my teeth but relief flowed through me when I saw that it was only Deaton as he approached my cage.

"Good morning fox," I wanted to growl in his face at the bluntness of that statement but I didn't have the energy.

Deaton unlocked the cage door and before I could blink wrapped me up in a little yellow blanket, encompassing my small body as he walked towards the back door. He opened it up and placed me on the ground still in the blanket, I was shocked that he'd simply just let me go. The warm sun hit my face and the winter air smelt crisp and fresh as I shakily breathed in. I yipped and he slightly smiled down at me, his gaze full of joy and...trust? I struggled out of the soft blanket, shook myself, and slowly walked towards the forest- looking back at Deaton once before I took off across the road into the bright woods. Don't look back, Stiles.

From across the street at the clinic, Deaton stood at the door watching the small-red fox travel into the forest. A small rare and genuine smile was plastered to his face the whole morning.

"Welcome back Stiles," Deaton whispered and walked back into the clinic with the blanket.

^

I shifted back as I neared the motel, my body screaming in pain at every movement but I just kept walking towards the room.

Room 12, the first story, last door on the right.

I knocked twice on the pale blue door, waiting impatiently for it to open.

Aiden shouted from inside, "We don't want any cookies!" I rolled my eyes in annoyance at his poor attempt at humor.

"Open the damn door Aiden." He smiled evilly as it sprung open, that stupid-stupid smirk of his staring me in the face.

"Somebody's happy this morning," he snickered as I pushed past him into the room. Ethan, Kali, and Ennis were sitting at the small table next to the couch, sipping their drinks and Kali smiled up at me though I knew it wasn't genuine. Deucalion was sitting on the beaten up-tan couch to my left, looking in my direction expectantly through his sunglasses.

"Where were you, Stiles?" He drawled out and stood-signaling for Kali to guide him across the room over to me.

"Just...out in the woods."