Chapter Eleven(Stuck between a Rock and a Hard Place)

I slowly rise off the couch, moving carefully as not to startle the sleeping body next to me, and quietly slip my jeans back on. My muscles were still sore and achy from the earlier events and the sex with Jennifer definitely didn't help replenish any of my energy, not that I minded. Even the slashes on my chest were beginning to heal over but I slip my black shirt on so no one would get suspicious.

However, Derek's thoughts kept circling back to the wolf, who was still unnaturally silent in his head which made Derek uneasy since his wolf was never quiet - it always had something to say. Instead, Derek just felt lonely and bare like something was missing but he didn't do anything wrong, right?

I make my way to the kitchen and grab one of the water bottles out of the mini-fridge, gulping it down as I grab another one for Jennifer and head to the couch once I hear her heartbeat start to pick up speed.

"Derek?"

Her sleepy voice is muffled against the cushion so I move and crouch next to her, similar to what she had done earlier when she brought me here, and hand her the water bottle. She blushes but takes it anyway while looking around for her clothes, I sheepishly pick them up from off the floor and hand them to her but keep my gaze locked on the ground as I stand up.

Well, this is awkward.

I clear my throat once I hear her finish getting dressed, "I uh...don't have any food sorry..." Goddammit, what is wrong with me. Why the hell would she want food, Derek! I shake my head in defeat.

Luckily she just giggles and pats my shoulder, "It's alright Derek. I was about to head out anyway." I nod my head and meet her eyes, the kind look never leaves her face when our eyes meet.

"Thank you."

She just smiles up at me, "no I should be thanking you. That was probably the best sex I've ever had-" and I can't help but let out a snort which makes her laugh harder unable to finish the sentence, the strong scent of contentment fills the air and the smell of lavender and mint blossoms off her. It's quite calming, yet my wolf remains silent. As quickly as it starts her laughter suddenly dies.

"Uh, D-Derek..." I stare at her but her gaze is locked on something past my shoulder so I whip around and growl quietly - instinctively moving my body in front of hers. From the cracked window I see the two twins make their way across the yard and up the steps, knocking on the door once. I want to snarl at the absurdity but refuse to move to open it for them.

Just as I expected one of them kick the door down and Jennifer lets out a small yelp, clinging to my arm. I growl and flash my eyes but the one called Aiden chuckles, my jaw almost drops when I see the man in red slowly step through the doorway to stand next to them, keyword almost. Surprisingly my wolf starts to whine and I can't tell if it's from happiness or hurt. Of course.

"What do you want?" I snap but the twins matching smirks widen.

"Just to talk Derek, well we don't really want to talk. He does." Aiden nods towards the man in red who unsheathed his sword - still perfectly shiny with all traces of my blood gone, a clean slate. I shove Jennifer away once the man runs at me and I dodge his swings barely before I'm able to sweep his legs yet he quickly rises again but this fight feels different. I see his muscles strain and him tense every time he swings - almost as if he was holding back which confuses me since he had no problem with that earlier.

He gets a good few swipes at my biceps and I growl at him in frustration, it's almost like a dance as soon as he steps forward I step back and he spins and swings at me while I bend my body to turn away. I'm so caught up in fighting that I don't notice Jennifer being grabbed by one of the twins until I hear her scream my name. I turn toward the noise and see them running out of the house and I move to follow after but I'm knocked to the ground - grunting as I make an impact on the burnt wood.