chapter 30.

After spending the majority of her Spring Break in the hospital, Nicole is becoming more and more excited about the approaching summer and having a break from school after graduation, before starting college in the fall. She's mostly excited to be able to take it easy for the summer, but Waverly keeps adding more plans to her list. At this point, she just goes along with it. But she is happy to be with Waverly, regardless of what they do.

"Are you even listening anymore?" Waverly huffs, she's clearly annoyed with the redhead.

Nicole's eyes are focused downward toward her guitar that she's been tinkering with for the past fifteen minutes or so. "What?" she asks.

"I asked what you thought about planning a going away party before we all go our separate ways to college and stuff," Waverly repeats herself.

"Oh, yeah," Nicole says. She finally looks up to make eye contact with the glaring brunette. "Sounds great, babe," she says with a smile.

"I don't believe you," Waverly huffs.

"It's just that we haven't even graduated yet," Nicole says. "As much as I love planning a future with you, don't you ever wish time would just slow down?"

"Says the girl who wanted to speed up the last month," her girlfriend reminds her.

"That's different," Nicole argues. She sets the guitar down, leaning it against a nearby wall. She gestures for Waverly to come to her. "That's because I wanted to be able to do this again," she grins, wrapping her arms tightly around the brunette's waist as she stands from the bed.

"And you should still be careful," Waverly warns. Nicole can feel her trying not to press against her too tightly.

"It's like good as new!" Nicole protests, stepping back a bit. She lifts her shirt to expose the fresh scar on her abdomen.

"It's hardly even a scar yet," Waverly argues. She gently runs her fingers down the exposed skin, goosebumps forming in a trail behind her touch.

Nicole sucks in a sharp breath at the feeling of Waverly's fingers against her bare skin. "Baby, I'm fine," she whines, giving her a pouty lip.

Waverly laughs and shakes her head at her girlfriend. "I just don't want to hurt you."

"You didn't hurt me last night," Nicole says with a dimpled grin, followed by a quick wink.

"Mm," Waverly says, closing her eyes as if she was replaying the memory in her head. Nicole feels proud of the results again. "Fine," the brunette continues. "But you're not completely healed yet."

"You're right," Nicole finally admits. She pulls her shirt back down and plops down on the bed.

"So are you worried about graduating?"

"Not really worried," the redhead explains. "But it's weird, you know? These next couple of weeks are going to fly by and that's it, we're college students."

The statement sounds scary coming out of her mouth.

"True," Waverly agrees. She moves a little closer to Nicole, wrapping her arms around the redhead's shoulders. "I never expected you to be the sentimental one."

"A lot has happened this year," Nicole says. "So many things in my life changed. A lot of that was for the better. And now it's like everything is going to change again."

Waverly gives her an empathetic look. "Do you want to know what won't change?" Nicole nods, looking up toward her girlfriend. "This," Waverly starts, leaning in to kiss her lips, soft and sweet.

Nicole can't help but smile. "Thank god for that," she says with a laugh. "I'm honestly surprised you're so much more calm, cool, and collected about everything. Aren't you nervous about what life is going to be like after high school?"