chapter 25.

"So I've been thinking about getting a job," Nicole says, nonchalantly, as she climbs in the car next to Chrissy. She pulls her backpack onto her lap and closes the door next to her, turning to see the blonde staring back at her. By the look she's receiving, she assumes that Chrissy thinks it's a bad idea.

"Why the hell would you do that?"

"Because I'm poor," the redhead says, matter of factly.

"And we don't judge you for that!" The blonde replies.

Nicole laughs and shakes her head at her foster sister. Chrissy puts the car in reverse, beginning to turn around in the driveway. "I just mean that I can't pay for my own things," she tries to further explain herself.

"No one says you have to," Chrissy assures her.

"I can't live on your dad's money forever," the redhead reminds her. As much as a comfort it is to know that Randy doesn't plan on kicking her to the curb anytime soon, she still feels like she needs to do some things for her own. How is she going to ever provide for herself, or Waverly, in the future if she doesn't start saving now?

"I'd like to," Chrissy says with a shrug.

"Chrissy, I'm serious."

Chrissy gives her a confused look. "Why the sudden need for one right now?"

"I'm eighteen now," Nicole sighs. "I'm an adult. I should do adult things."

"But you're still in high school. If I were you, I'd stick to the kid things until you run out of time," the blonde suggests.

Nicole rolls her eyes at the other girl. "I want to take Waverly out and I can't," she finally admits as they pull into the school parking lot.

"Why not?"

"Because I can't pay for it," she tells her.

"She can," Chrissy says, clearly not understanding where Nicole is coming from. She doesn't blame Chrissy for never having to really be responsible for paying for anything. It's not her fault she was born and raised where she was.

"But I don't want her to always have to, you know?" She tries to get her to understand a little more.

"I'm sure she doesn't mind, it's not her money," the blonde shrugs as they climb out of the car and head toward the school. Nicole slings her backpack over her shoulder and shakes her head at her foster sister.

"That's not the point, Chrissy," she laughs. "How am I going to be able to do anything, support myself or anyone else if I can't work?"

"I mean, you can work later in life," Chrissy explains.

"No one is going to hire me later in life if I don't have experience."

"That makes no sense," the blonde gives her a confused look.

"Trust me, I know," Nicole sighs as she pulls the door to the school open, holding it for Chrissy to enter before her.

"So does Waverly know you want to start working?"

"No, why?"

"I was just wondering what she thought," Chrissy says nonchalantly.

"Would she be against it?" The redhead suddenly starts to question her idea. She thought maybe Waverly would be happy she wants to work to support herself, and possibly the two of them later in life.

"Who knows," Chrissy shrugs.

Nicole lets out an audible groan at the other girl causing her to become worried over possibly nothing. "She's busy with cheerleading again anyway," she says as they turn the corner, heading down the hallway toward Waverly's locker.