chapter 16.

The next week at school is fairly uneventful. Now that football season is over, Nicole notices that the school doesn't have as much going on. It's like they don't know how to function without high school sports. The football players no longer don jerseys, the cheerleaders aren't in uniform. That one she misses a little more because it means she doesn't get to see Waverly in her skirt anymore. At least not until basketball season.

Signs start to go up around the school advertising the winter formal dance that Chrissy and Waverly told her about. As soon as the signs go up, chatter in the halls starts about who's going with who. She still doesn't really get the appeal of school dances, but she knows Waverly will want to go, so she plans on taking her, and actually showing up this time.

In history, the teacher reminds them of the upcoming presentations of their projects that will happen next week. Nicole is suddenly grateful for Waverly's work ethic and the early start they got on their project when she sees everyone else in the class start to panic about finishing it. They've been done for over 3 weeks now and she feels Waverly smile at her at the thought.

After class, Nicole pulls Waverly by the arm, leading her down a deserted hallway in the school. "Where are you taking me?" Waverly asks as she follows the redhead.

"You still want to see where I grew up?" Nicole asks when they stop moving. She leans her back up against the locker, positioning Waverly in front of her, holding onto her hips.

"Now? We have school," Waverly reminds her. She knows Waverly is a planner, but she's hoping she's okay with spontaneity every once in a while.

"They won't miss us," Nicole argues. "It's Friday, you don't have a game tonight. We don't have any tests this afternoon," she continues.

"You're crazy," Waverly says with a laugh. Nicole leans in, capturing the brunette's lips with her own.

"You said you wanted to go!" She reminds her.

"Yeah, but not in the middle of a school day!" Waverly argues. "Babe, you know that's not a great idea."

"Why not?" Nicole asks. "No one is going to miss us, we'll get Chrissy to cover for us, you're coming over after school anyway."

"You're serious about this?" Waverly asks as if she thinks Nicole is just playing games with her.

"Super serious," Nicole says, she squeezes Waverly's hips a little tighter. Waverly pauses for a moment as if she's really contemplating the decision.

"Okay," she finally says.

"Really?!" Nicole asks, excited. She didn't expect her to say yes.

"My dad cannot find out," Waverly warns, pointing a finger in her direction.

"Well, I'm sure as hell not about to tell him," Nicole says with a laugh.

They come up with a plan where Chrissy will tell Randy that Nicole is going over to Waverly's for dinner and Wynonna will tell her father that Waverly is spending the night at Chrissy's house if they ask. With the plan in place, Nicole and Waverly head out of the school after lunch and hop into Waverly's car.

"You sure about this?" Waverly asks as if she's second-guessing her decision to go along with this. Nicole nods.

"We don't have to go if you don't want to," she reminds her she's not trying to force her to go against her own free will.

"Let's do it," Waverly says, letting out a breath. She puts the car in reverse, pulling out of her parking space in the school lot.

The drive to the city goes by a lot faster with Waverly by her side. They talk about anything and everything, they sing along to the music, and they hold hands a lot.