chapter 23.

When they return to school at the start of the new year, most people already know that they're a couple again. It's nice to be able to hold Waverly's hand in the hallway again, but Nicole remembers the last time they were at school and how awkward it was between the two of them.

In the new semester, Nicole and Waverly have three classes together, plus lunch. Nicole is a little bummed when she finds out that they don't have first period together.

"What am I going to focus on first thing in the morning?" Nicole whines as she shuts her locker door. Waverly is already holding a stack of books and leaning up against the wall, waiting for the redhead.

"Math, I hope," Waverly says with a laugh.

"Why did your math class change?" Nicole asks as they make their way down the hallway together.

"Baby," Waverly says. "We've been over this," she sighs. "I'm taking extra AP classes this semester."

"Oh, right," Nicole says. "I forget how much of a nerd you are because you're so sexy," the redhead teases, nudging her playfully with her hip.

"Are you saying nerds can't be sexy?" Waverly asks, raising an eyebrow to Nicole. Nicole can't help but laugh.

"Not normally my go to," Nicole says with a shrug. "But damn, girl, you're sure the exception," she says, looking her up and down.

"My god, you two are always horny!" Chrissy whines from behind them. Nicole is unsure of how long the blonde has been following them.

"Yes," Nicole says, plainly as she turns around to make eye contact with Chrissy.

"All you guys did was bang over the break," Chrissy huffs. "Haven't you moved on to conversation or something?"

"I mean, we talk too," Waverly tells her with a laugh.

"Sometimes we do both at the same time," Nicole adds, casually.

"Nicole!" Waverly whines.

"What?!" Nicole asks. Waverly doesn't answer her, she just shakes her head at the redhead. "What's your schedule look like, Nedley?" Nicole asks, changing the subject.

The blonde hands over the piece of paper that she's holding in her hand. Before Nicole has a chance to look at it, Waverly peels it from her grip, squealing at the fact that they all have gym, study hall and lunch together.

"I'm surprised you have time for a study hall," Chrissy teases as the brunette hands the paper back to her.

"You guys think all I do is over achieve!" Waverly huffs.

"Well, you don't get to the top of the class for nothing," Chrissy informs her.

"Yeah, yeah," Waverly says. Nicole isn't sure why the brunette always brushes off the fact that she's valedictorian of the class. She thinks it's an amazing achievement and she's proud of Waverly for her accomplishments. But Waverly sticks with her modesty, never believing she's better than anyone because of it. This is something Nicole loves about her. "This is my stop," Waverly tells the pair as she gestures to a nearby classroom. "I'll see you guys in gym!"

Nicole leans in for a kiss before letting go of the brunette's hand and making her way to math. She finds the class to be more boring without Waverly to sit with her, but she does find it easier to focus. Usually she'd find herself zoning out and staring at the brunette, only to get a dirty look and a warning about paying attention.

The next two periods go by fairly fast. Part of her doesn't want to rush to get to gym class because high school gym class is definitely not her cup of tea, but getting to see Waverly was definitely a bonus.