chapter 4.

Waverly.

She finally has a name.

Nicole has trouble focusing throughout the rest of class. Waverly's name echoes in her head. Finally a name to the face she's seen so many times before this point. She hears some of what the teacher is saying, but none of it seems important.

It probably was.

She hears a unanimous groan flood the room that brings her back to reality. On the whiteboard in the front of the classroom, the teacher writes 'class projects.' She feels like she missed something and tries to focus on what the teacher is saying.

"I'm sure you've all heard about the big senior History projects we usually do in the Spring," the man explains as he turns back toward the class. "Well, good news, we're doing them in the fall," he cheers.

Nicole looks around her to see no one else is excited. The class groans again when they find out they don't get to pick their partners for this project. He explains that he's going to leave the list in the back of the room for the class to read on their way out.

When the bell rings, she watches as people rush toward the back of the room to read the list for the projects. She hangs back by her seat to let more people file out before she makes her way toward the door. She slings her backpack over her right shoulder and turns toward the door.

"So when do you want to start planning this project?" A voice comes from next to her. She looks up to see Waverly standing next to the list of partners.

Nicole's is shocked at first, she must have given Waverly a weird look before she took a look at the list herself because when she looks back at the brunette, there's a slight look of offense on her face. "Sorry, I didn't-" She tries to backpedal. "I'm still trying to wrap my head around such a big assignment so early in the school year."

Waverly laughs.

Nicole sighs.

That was close.

She internally kicks herself for almost screwing it up the first chance she gets to talk to this girl.

"That's okay," Waverly says, softly. "I figured we can get started as soon as possible on it."

"Uh, yeah," Nicole says. "I mean, we have time, right?" Nicole shrugs. She sees slight frustration on the girl's face. Apparently that was the wrong answer. It's the first day of school, they can at least wait until next week. Besides, she has to start her probation sentence after school. She's sure that's something that will truly impress Waverly.

Not.

"Look, I just need you to take this seriously," Waverly tells her. Nicole isn't sure what she did wrong, but she feels like no matter what she says right now, she's not right.

"Oh, I will take it very seriously," Nicole says, grinning at the brunette. Maybe she can try charming her a little.

"Are you mocking me?" Waverly huffs. Nicole's eyes widen.

"What? No!" Nicole says.

"I'm sure there's still time to switch partners," Waverly tells her. She turns toward the teacher's desk and Nicole stands where she is, still confused. She overhears Waverly asking about a possible change of partners.

"This escalated quickly," Nicole says out loud to herself. She watches as the brunette stomps her way back over to her. "How'd that go?" She asks.

"My house or yours?" Waverly asks. Her tone is a little softer than before.

"I have plans tonight after school," Nicole admits. "How about later this week?" She knows she's not going to get away with pushing this project off so she might as well just give in.