chapter 10.

The next morning, Nicole is woken by the sun shining through the window and the loud sound of birds outside. She quickly remembers the events of the night before and hopes that it wasn't just a dream. She feels someone shift in the bed next to her and her heart starts to race at the sight of Waverly, curled up next to her, nuzzled into her chest. She kisses the brunette's forehead softly, causing her to move her head up and smile, eyes still closed.

"Waves?" Chrissy calls out from across the room, there's a slight panic in her voice. Waverly puts her finger to her mouth gesturing for Nicole to be quiet and not give away her location. Nicole turns slightly to see the blonde, who is now standing on the floor, pulling back the blankets of the clearly unslept in bed. "Has anyone seen Waverly?" Chrissy asks. Nicole tries to lie, shaking her head for a moment before Chrissy narrows her eyes on Nicole like she knows something. A nervous grin grows on Nicole's face. "Why are you smiling?" Chrissy asks, pointing a warning finger at the redhead.

Finally, Waverly sits up in the bed. "I'm right here," she says. Chrissy looks more confused as Waverly fully emerges from the blankets and starts to climb down the ladder, still wearing the redhead's hoodie. The bed feels empty right away and Nicole immediately misses the warmth of the brunette's body against her own.

"Why were you up there?" Chrissy asks. She's less panicked now, but more annoyed that she was hiding.

"It was cold," Waverly says with a shrug as she makes her way over to her bag. She digs through, pulling out clothes for the day.

Nicole laughs to herself as she continues to watch the interaction. Chrissy still grilling her with questions about what really happened when everyone else went to bed last night. Waverly responds with little information, keep the moment sacred for now.

"I'm gonna go shower, can we continue this later?" Waverly asks.

"Sure," Chrissy huffs. She gives Nicole a warning look. Nicole responds by putting her hands in the air in front of her and shaking her head, pretending not to know what she's talking about. Waverly shoots her a quick wink before making her way into the showers.

A few moments later, Nicole descends from the top bunk and finds clothes to change into as well. Although everything in her wants to go to the showers, she gives Waverly her privacy and decides on a shower later. She uses her foot to shake the bed where Rosita is still sleeping, hoping to wake her up.

"Haught, that better be an earthquake, because if you're waking me up right now I'm going to kill you," Rosita huffs, eyes still closed.

"Wake up," Nicole says. She kicks the bed again, clearly not afraid of the threats Rosita is making. "I'm hungry."

"Then go eat," Rosita groans. She rolls over toward the wall with her back to Nicole.

"Come with me," Nicole whines. She puts her hands up on the top bunk and starts to shake the structure again.

"Haught," Rosita warns. "Please don't make me take you into the woods and kill you," she says.

"I'm willing to take my chances," Nicole says with a laugh.

Rosita groans again and rolls over. "Fine," she says. Nicole moves out of the way so Rosita can climb out of bed. "Why are you so chipper this morning, anyway?" she asks.

Nicole's eyes widen slightly. Is she being obvious that something happened last night with her and Waverly? There's no way Rosita could know, right? "What? I'm just hungry," Nicole says quickly, trying to cover up her undeniable happiness. She glances behind her to see Waverly hasn't made her way out of the showers yet. "Let's go," she says to Rosita, pulling on her arm.