chapter 12.

Nicole isn't home long before she starts to receive texts from Waverly telling her that she wants to come over. Nicole laughs to herself, but she doesn't mind. She's unsure what to do with herself now that she's back home. All she can think about is Waverly.

She thinks about the first night by the fire and the conversation they had about trying to please everyone else. She thinks about the look on Ward's face when he saw his daughter hug Nicole. She wonders what it would be like when he finds out there's more going on between them than he thinks. She wonders what else he said to Waverly after the hug. She wonders if Waverly told him anything about them.

She can't stop thinking about what could be happening at the Earp house at this moment. She starts driving herself crazy with thoughts of Waverly getting yelled at because of her. Her thoughts then shift back to her conversation with Champ on the bus. She knows he was just trying to get under her skin, but it's hard not to let him sometimes.

She lays back on her bed, feeling the exhaustion from the weekend. Her body relaxes easily with the feeling of the soft material underneath her. She lays her head on her pillow, feeling her eyes start to close. She doesn't fight it long before she falls asleep.

Nicole isn't sure how long she's been asleep before she is startled awake by a knock at the door. She shifts in her bed, still partially asleep. The knock comes again before she calls out for the person to come in. The door swings open and Waverly appears in the doorway. Nicole opens her eyes further at the sight of the brunette, gesturing for her to come in.

Waverly looks upset and Nicole quickly climbs out of the bed, making her way toward the brunette. Waverly shuts the door behind her and turns back toward Nicole. Nicole is concerned when Waverly doesn't speak, but buries her face against the redhead's chest as she opens her arms and wraps them around her.

"Waves?" Nicole asks. She looks down toward the brunette, but can't see her face. There's concern in Nicole's tone as she tries gently to get her to lift her head. "Hey," she says, leaning back a bit to see Waverly better.

"Sorry," Waverly finally speaks. She looks up at the redhead, but doesn't remove her arms from around her torso. "I just missed you."

"I missed you too," Nicole admits. She kisses Waverly's forehead, gaining a soft smile from her. "You seemed upset when you came in though, is everything okay?" she asks, not dismissing her concern for the brunette's appearance when she first arrived.

"It's fine," Waverly tries to brush it off, she moves away from the redhead, sitting down at the end of the bed. Nicole notices that she's not making eye contact with her.

"Waves," she says. She walks over toward where Waverly is sitting. She lowers herself down in front of her, attempting to gain eye contact. "Talk to me."

"I have nothing to talk about, Nicole," Waverly huffs. Nicole is thrown off a little by her tone, but continues to be patient with her. "I'm fine."

"You don't seem fine," Nicole says. She reaches out for Waverly's hand, rubbing circles with her thumb on her soft skin.

"You don't know me well enough to know when I'm fine and not fine," Waverly tries to argue but doesn't pull her hand away. Nicole grows slightly frustration with the resistance, but can't help but laugh a little at the comment. She may not know her well yet, but reading Waverly is something that came fairly natural to her rather quickly.

"What's so funny?" Waverly asks. Her tone is less abrasive and more confused. Nicole can tell she has something to talk about and wishes she would just be open with her.

"Sorry," Nicole says. "But I think I do know you well enough to tell when you're upset," she admits confidently.

"Okay, prove it," Waverly challenges her.