√ TWENTY SIX √

"Young man, there are a lot of questions we ask in life that we cannot explain exactly why its happening or it happened. But God, he sees the entire  script. While he see the turbulent winds and the challenges now; we do not know tomorrow neither do we know what's going to happen in the next minute" The Pastor said as some of the worshippers started nodding.

"What I need you to do is to trust in God. You have to trust and believe in him. You have to trust him more. The Bible also made us to understand that when we cast all our burden and care on him, he'll give us rest. You just have to believe and trust in him" he added as he sighed again.

"And you should know that; whatever happens, it doesn't change who God is, it doesn't change what he can do, it doesn't change who he is neither does it change him" the pastor finished and slowly patted the back of Juola who was still crying silently.

After a while, Juola stood up and walked out of the church without a word. The Pastor stood up and watched Juola's retreating back and turned to the congregation.

"Let us pray for that young man. Let's pray that God gives him the grace to trust in him and believe him" the Pastor said as the church resumed into a full prayer swing.

As Juola packed the bag the next morning for school, his eyes remained expressionless and the usual smile that was always on his face had disappeared.

One of the textbooks Ike had borrowed him fell from the table and a paper dropped from it. Juola quietly picked up the paper and raised it up. It was Ike's bucket list.

He swallowed his saliva as he folded it neatly and slid it back into his pocket. He slung his bag over his bag and walked out of the room.

Before he came back the previous day, the whole disarranged room had be arranged and the broken furniture replaced with new ones.

Even the driver held his breath as he drove out of the compound that morning. Everyone knew that something was on but Juola never spoke to anyone and no one had the guts to ask either.

Juola dialed a number on his phone and on the first ring, the other person picked the call.

"Heyy Juola. How are you?" Dare asked.

"Make a an ice cream bucket. The biggest size there is" Juola replied.

"The biggest bucket?" Dare asked, shock and surprise obvious from his tone.

"Yeah. All kinds of flavour and toppings. Deliver it to my school during break" Juola replied.

"Ehn? Do you know how long..... " Dare had barely finished talking when Juola hung up the phone and leaned back in the car while pressing his forehead on the glass.

"Turn off the AC" Juola murmured as he wounded down the glass a little bit.

The morning air waded into the car as Juola dropped his head backwards. He had been asleep but woke up when Ike called his name. Since he was little, he had, had an instinctive response as long as his name was called.

No matter what he was doing or how asleep he was. He would wake up. So he woke up the first time Ike called him but for his reason he didn't want to say anything.

He figured out that maybe she wanted to talk and decided to listen but the words she said? Never had Juola expected to hear them. What was more was that if he was actually asleep, that meant that he wouldn't even know anything?

The car drove into the school and Juola got down adjusting his wristwatch on his left hand as he slid his hands into his pockets and walked towards his class.

He stopped when he sighted Ike, Gloria and Chidima afar off. Gloria said something to Chidima and Ike burst into laughter.

After two weeks, he wasn't going to see that laugh ever again. The trio seemed to have noticed him as Ike called him waving at him.

"Juola!" She called as Juola swallowed his saliva. He loved how she called his name, he had always did but then after two weeks he wasn't going to hear her call him again.

Seeing his weird movements, Gloria called him again and Juola forced a smile as he walked towards them.

"Good morning Mr Matthews" Gloria greeted as Juola smiled.

"Morning Gloria, Chi" Juola said as he turned to Ike.

"Wait for me at the cafeteria during break. I have something for you" Juola said as he walked past them without a word.

"What's going on?" Chidima asked as Ike swallowed her saliva.

"Wait. He called me Gloria" Gloria replied as Ike and Chidima turned to her.

"He probably forgot your surname" Chidima replied and Gloria chuckled.

"You very much know that, that's a lie" Gloria said as she folded her arms and turned to Ike.

"Is he okay?" Gloria asked as Ike pursed her lips.

He definitely couldn't have heard her the night before could he?

Ike shook her head as she swallowed her saliva. If he did, he would have confronted her about it. Besides, she was sure that he was asleep.

"I don't know. I'll talk to him during break. I wonder what he has for me" Ike replied as Gloria and Chidima started cooing.

'I'm so curious too" Chidima said as Ike laughed as they entered the class.

"Guys, its like two months and a week to Christmas. I have an idea for this year's Christmas dance. Let's all wear the same gown" Chidima said as Gloria nodded.

"I'm in" Gloria replied as she turned to Ike who seemed to laugh rather sarcastically.

"Of course I'm in" Ike replied as she played with her fingers as she stared at Chidima as she brought out her phone showing Gloria the kind of styles they could sew.

If only they knew that only the two of them would still be alive by then.