√ TWENTY SEVEN √

Ike drummed on the table with her fingers as she looked at the various students afar off in the cafeteria. She and Juola used to seat away from the students and sometimes Gloria and Chidima joined them but most times liked leaving the duo alone.

And the same was with that afternoon. As they were also curious about whatever Juola wasn't going to give Ike; they didn't want to be there so as not to spoil the moment.

Ike started drumming to a tune as she tried to imagine what kind of surprise or what Juola wanted to give her. Nothing came to her mind and she decided to be patient about it.

On her bucket list, there were four things remaining. Ike decided to buy herself a bucket of ice cream the next day. She sighted Juola walking into the cafeteria and waved excitedly at him as he walked towards her and sat down.

"I'm so curious. What do you want to give me?" Ike asked as Juola chuckled.

"Really? You are curious?" Juola asked and Ike nodded.

"Of course I am" Ike replied as she watched someone drop a huge bucket of ice cream in front of her.

Ike stared at Juola in shock before turning back to the bucket of ice cream.

"You got this for me?" Ike asked and Juola nodded with a small smile.

"Oh my God! This is.... " Ike stammered as she covered her mouth. She suddenly remembered her bucket list and she turned to Juola.

"Do you like it?" Juola asked and Ike nodded happily.

"I've always wanted to get myself a huge bucket of ice cream" Ike replied as Juola nodded and folded his arms.

"Yeah. I know. Its on your bucket list or rather on the list of things you want to do before you die" Juola said as Ike froze.

Ike rapidly blinked her eyes as she stared at Juola.

He found her bucket list?

It was then Ike realized that she had borrowed Juola one of her textbooks and that textbook happened to be the one with her bucket list.

"Juola, look its just a joke. I just wanted to write a bucket li...... " Barely had Ike finished when Juola cut her short.

"I heard you yesterday night Ikeoluwa. I heard you clearly" Juola interrupted and Ike froze.

"You..... heard...... me?" Ike asked as Juola nodded and turned to her, his eyes devoid of any emotion.

"Ikeoluwa, who am I to you? What am I to you? That you didn't think I deserved to know that you had leukamia. You even wanted to die and plunge me into eternal loneliness huh? Who do you think I am? Do you just think that you could come  into my life and go as you please?" Juola asked as he stood up, chuckled and started walking away.

Ikeoluwa didn't think twice before she ran after him and wrapped around his waist. Tears welled up in her eyes as she hugged him from behind.

"I'm sorry" Ikeoluwa sobbed behind her and Juola stood in place allowing Ike to hold him.

"I was so scared. I didn't want you to leave me" Ike cried as Juola pulled her arms off him and turned to her.

"What exactly do you think of me?" Juola asked as he swallowed his saliva.

"Why would I leave the only person that brought rays of sunshine into my life? Why would I leave the only person that made me smile again? Why would I leave someone I love?" Juola asked as he pulled Ike towards him and hugged him and unlike the day before, it was his turn to pat and comfort Ike as she cried.

Ike watched Juola as she ate her ice cream. After inviting Gloria, Chidima, Gbogo and a few of her other friends to join her to eat the ice cream since she couldn't possibly finish it alone, Juola had stood up to make a call.

Juola dialed a number as he pressed his phone near his ear. At the first ring, the other person picked up.

"Juola" an older male voice called as Juola swallowed the lump in his throat.

"I need your help" Juola said with an edge in his voice as there was silence at the other end.

"Juola, I am your father. If you need anything, just tell me. What is it?" The older male asked.

"Come back to Nigeria before  Sunday and call your friends. A friend of mine is going to have a small concert" Juola replied and he swallowed his saliva with the silence that followed his reply.

"If you can't.... " Juola started when the other persin cut him off.

"I'll be back tomorrow and about my friends. Don't worry, they'll be there" the other person replied as Juola sighed.

"Thank you" Juola replied as a moment of silence passed.

"Juola, are you okay?" The older male asked hesistance in his voice and Juola blinked his eyes rapidly.

"I don't know" Juola replied as he hung up the phone and slid it back into his pocket.

He stared into space before staring at his sneakers. He turned towards the group of students that were talking and laughing while eating with a huge bucket of ice cream in front of them.

Ike turned to him and gave him a smile before waving for him to come over. He forced a smile as he strode over and sat down beside her.

"You should also join us. After all, you bought it" Ike said as they burst into laughter.

"Heyy" Gbogo said as he pointed at Juola who turned to him immediately.

"I don't know the kind of juju you used on Ike o but for your info, I already asked her to be my partner for the Christmas Dance. Don't even think of asking her" Gbogo said as they all burst into laughter while Juola chuckled.

Christmas dance?

"And do treat her please" Gbogo said and Juola chuckled again.

"That's a given" Juola replied as he turned to Ike. He was going to treat her the best for the rest of her life.