14 : Surprise

Aghhh I'm in a writing mood rn so here's another chapter !

Y/N'S POV

I wake up the same way as I did yesterday, missing Xiao's warmth, then I remember he has a surprise for me. So I stepped out of our tent to find a note saying 'Go to the place where we cried and almost died.'

Haha. Very funny Xiao, making fun of my trauma. But I love him so it's okay— I walk over to the cliff he pushed me off of to find another note saying go to the place we shared our second kiss.

Recalling that moment made me blush but I went to the side of the pond where I found another note. Where did he even get paper ?

The last note simply says go inside Cloud Retainers domain.

Is Xiao pretending to be a seelie ? Going everywhere but the place they need to be. Oh well he's at least cuter than those annoying blue sky fishes or whatever...

I make my way to the domain and slowly go inside to see a small room with a beautiful ornate door. I walk through it and see a wonderful sky with floating islands and Xiao sitting at a table with Cloud Retainer.

Did they renovate this entire place just for my birthday ? Wow they even put puzzles here too to get up to them... it's rather easy though so I solve it and get to the top to find Xiao waiting for me.

"I saved a seat for you."

"Why thank you~"

I walk over next to Xiao's side and sit down.

"One shall leave for now, so the two of you can enjoy your alone time, I will be spending my time out in Moon Carvers domain instead, so enjoys yourselves."

Cloud Retainer flies away and now, it's just me and Xiao.

"Where did you get this food ?"

"I went to Liyue Harbor the yesterday and got some food from Wanmin Restaurant."

"W-where did you get the mora ?"

"I have the kid at Bubu Pharmacy some coconut milk and she told the owner to give me some money to buy food. And then I also saw some orange haired tall man from Snezhnaya handing out money to people. It was strange really."

I can't help but chuckle at his antics— we talk and talk for a while just enjoying each other's presence when suddenly the room goes quiet.

The silence leaves enough space in my head for thoughts so I ask Xiao.

"Do you have any parents ?"

"... I'm... I'm not sure. I remember having some sort of family but those memories are from so long ago. The only father figure I really know is Rex Lapis."

"What's the Geo Archon Like ?"

"He was a monster in battle. But you know that much already, deep down he was a very determined and pure hearted individual. All he really wanted was fairness, he is the god of contracts after all. And since he's the god of geo, he's the most stubborn man I've met. Unmoving, like a rock."

"... That must be nice."

"Hm ?"

"Well, the reason why I'm trying to travel all of Teyvat is because of my father. My mother left us after I was only 3 years old to go marry some rich man in Fontaine... even though we were poor, my dad never gave up on me you know ? He was an adventurer and he always gave 110% when he was working. He was truly admirable. But while out on a mission, I heard he was killed in a hilichurl camp. They didn't find the body, so some people say he just faked his own death to escape his life with me."

I looked at Xiao who had a look of sadness and anger on his face.

"I don't think he tried to escape though. He never gave up on me. Never. So why would he suddenly try to leave me ? But he was also a skill fighter so I don't know how a hilichurl camp could've killed him... his death is still a mystery. But he would always ask me what my dream was. I always just shrugged and said I don't know but he always had an answer. It was to travel all of Teyvat. He always had the heart of adventurer so I wasn't surprised."

I can feel myself start tearing up.

"But one day, a few weeks before he passed, he asked me 'If anything ever happened to me, please achieve my dream, for me.' At the time I didn't really care but then he died. And even though I never wanted to be an adventurer, I never wanted to give up on his dream, like he never gave up on me."

"From that day onward I trained and I trained, preparing myself to travel all of Teyvat. At the time I thought of this as a prophecy that I must forgo, but when I stepped on Liyue's ground, I finally understood why my dad wanted to explore all of Teyvat. Adventuring brings out such a specific emotion I can't describe, but I always feel the best when I'm out feeling the breeze hit my face as I scour the land looking for treasure. Sometimes I wonder if my dad were still here I could maybe talk to him more about his passions."

I finish talking and the room is filled with an awkward silence.

"Sorry I shouldn't have went on for that long—"

"No, it's okay. I'm glad I got to find out more about you today, Y/N."

Xiao turns to me and smiles. I nod my head and quickly turn away to hide my face.

"Oh by the way I got to you new clothes."

I look back at Xiao to see him carrying a few new pairs of my uniform. I take them and finish eating.

"I had fun today, Xiao."

"I'm glad you enjoyed it."

I swear to Barbatos if this man keeps smiling like that imma have to get him arrested for stealing my heart.

We walk back into the tent and we lay in each other's arms.

"Xiao... what are we ?"

"What do you mean ?"

"Like... what's our relationship ?"

"Well... I think of you as my partner. Romantic partner."

"Ah okay..."

"Do you not feel the same ?"

"No it's just... it feels nice to hear you say that."

He smiles at me and pulls me in for a quick kiss. He pulls away and laughs at my red face. Rude.

I nuzzle my head into his chest again. It's the most comfortable spot. And drift away into dream land.

💤