22 : Passing

TW : Mention of blood and violence

TW : Mention of blood and violence. I will leave a tl;dr at the bottom of this chapter if any of these topic trigger u<3

3RD PERSON POV

When the battle first started, Y/N couldn't help but watch Xiao fight. One, because they were worried, and two, because they thought Xiao fighting to protect them was so cute.

Even though they knew how strong Xiao was, Y/N couldn't shake this bad feeling in their stomach. Like something terrible was gonna happen.

And then, they saw Xiao stand still. Frozen in place as more Fatui fighters flooded in. Y/N could understand if he was taking a short break, everyone was tired. The battle was taking its toll on everyone included. But Y/N knew Xiao has a lot of stamina. Y/N knew Xiao could stay up all night so why did he suddenly stop in his tracks completely ?

Then, out the corner of their eye, they saw a Pyrogunner aiming right at Xiao, still frozen. Y/N being unable to stay put, ran into the battle as soon as they saw the Pyrogunner loading their gun.

At that moment, Y/N knew Xiao's life was more important than their own, so they made the executive decision to—

Xiao's POV

—Block the bullet ? Why is... Y/N here... to shield me... from an attack ? I thought... I thought I told them to... to stay in the Jade Palace...

Why... why are they... why are the out here ? Protecting me... who was standing still in the middle of battle, foolishly. Why are they risking their life for someone as worthless as me ?

Bang

I heard a gunshot and for a second, time slowed down as I saw the bullet inch closer and closer to Y/N's body. I tried to block it with my body but Y/N was spreading their arms in a way that I couldn't get in front of them in time and before I knew it.

The bullet had already pierced through Y/N's stomach.

I placed my hand on their stomach to feel the heat coming from the bullet laced with Pyro that also cauterized the wound.

Which stopped the bleeding, but the bullet most likely went through one of their organs so that would cause internal bleeding.

This... this can't be happening... right ? This is all probably just a weird dream and I'll wake up from it soon.

Right ?

No... this all feels too real. But... what do I do ? Why can't I move again... why must I be so weak in times where I need to be strong.

I was supposed to protect you... but... I've failed my duty... whats even the point of living anymore without you...?

I felt a soft hand caress my cheek. I looked down to see Y/N lying on the ground facing me, coughing up blood, but still managing to smile.

"Please live on. For me."

As soon as they finished their words their body seemed to grow weaker.

What a fool I am... for me to give up on life so easily... Y/N would never want that for me. why must I always doubt myself in such crucial moments. I can't afford to be so indecisive anymore. My foolishness has already caused my loved one to be badly hurt. I can't let them die on me. Not again—

Bang

. . . . . . . . . .

Another bullet is shot by the Pyrogunner and this time it goes right through Y/N's head. And as soon as that happens Y/N loses all the life in their eyes. Their hands get cold, their body becomes limp.

I... I could've saved them. If I just hadn't spent so much time sitting around her I could've gotten them to Madame Ping and maybe she could've done something but.

It's too late now.

I pick up Y/N's lifeless body and slowly walk over to Madame Ping. I can see the rest of the Qixing that were fighting are now just staring at me in shock. And the adepti are too focused on Osial to notice what had just happened. It's probably better that way. I don't want them interfering in this battle, because I want their blood on my hands.

I reach the Jade Palace after dodging all of the attacks the enemies were throwing at me and quietly lay down Y/N next to Madame Ping.

"Please. See if you can do anything."

I jump back down into the battle and walk into the middle of the platform Ningguang created.

This if for you, Y/N. I'm sorry I couldn't save you. I'm sorry I couldn't protect you. I'm sorry that my strength wasn't enough. I'm sorry for doing so many awful things to you.

But my biggest regret... was not saying I love you more.

Y/N, I hope to meet you in my next life. I plan on ending it all here. I'll use all of my power to destroy these people and Osial. I don't know what happens if I keep the mask on for too long but I don't care anymore.

What else can I do when the only person left in this world that I cared for dies ? It's bullshit. This should never have happened. But I can't turn back time. So...

"Evil Conquering"

🪠

TL;DR Y/N gets shot and then Xiao has an emotional moment and can't move then Y/N gets shOT AGAIN but this time through the head and now Y/N ded or somn idk so Xiao takes them to Madame Ping cuz maybe she can do somn abt it and now Xiao supah mad and goes all emo and says EViL cONquERiNg

Also btw sorry if this chapter is a bit trashy— idk why I just don't like it as much as the others... but what do y'all think ?