30 : A Normal Life.

Y/N'S POV

"So you're just gonna... let us adopt Qiqi ?"

"Yes. I may be quite a persistent man when it comes down to it but I'm not a monster. I'll come clean and say that the first reason I had to take care of Qiqi was to use her in order to get closer to my goal of eternal life. But... somewhere along the line I really started to care for Qiqi. And I know that I'm not good enough for her. So please, take care of her for me."

"Well that was easier than we expected. Y/N, let's go back to the house and tell Qiqi the news !"

Xiao speeds out of Bubu Pharmacy and I am left confused at how easy that was. I turn to Baizhu who has his back turned to me as he cleans up a shelf full of herbs.

"Are you really ok with this ?"

"... Well I wish I could've been a better guardian for Qiqi but I understand the that she's better off with you two...."

"I have nothing else to say other than... thank you."

Baizhu turns towards me and smiles before bidding farewell. I walk out of the pharmacy and as soon as take the last step down the stairs I jump up and down from excitement.

I'm gonna be a parent ! Children weren't always a goal of mine because I don't wanna deal with a bratty toddler but Qiqi isn't like that. She's much more... chill.

But I wonder if that's holding her back from really making the most of her childhood.

I start walking back to our house to greet Qiqi with the news but as soon as I open the door, Xiao is already there talking with her. I assume he's explaining the situation.

"Will Qiqi get to see Baizhu again ?"

"No."

"Xiao ! I know you don't like him but wouldn't it be better to let Qiqi do what she wants."

Xiao sighs.

"Alright. But just know that the only reason I'm so skeptical of that man is because his motives were always clear as day to me. I care to much about Qiqi now to simply let her go back to that... man."

"I see where you're coming from but I just want to let her live a normal life..."

"A normal life... is that really possible for someone like Qiqi ?"

"... I know she's a zombie, like me... but I don't actually know what that entails... care to enlighten me ?"

"I will after Qiqi leaves this room. She can't hear this... it'd be bad for her."

"I understand. Qiqi will go picking herbs by the mountains and check up on Baizhu. If Qiqi isn't home by sunset please come fetch me."

Qiqi jumps out of the chair she's sitting on and runs out the door with her hands in the air. How cute.

"Come with me."

Xiao grabs my wrist and leads me into our bedroom. He sits down at the bed and pats the space beside him signaling me to sit next to him.

I go over to do so and then he grabs my shoulder and pushes me down onto his lap.

"Xiao ! Not now, we need to talk about Qiqi-" I say flustered.

"I just wanted you to lay your head down on my lap... I see couples in Liyue do this all the time and I wanted to try it with you."

"Ah I see. I was mistaken... very well then."

I lay my head down on Xiao's lap and look up at him as he caresses my hair.

"I thought this would be a more comfortable position for you as we talk about Qiqi's situation."

"Alright then... tell me about Qiqi."

"Qiqi died centuries ago. She was a young child who got caught up in a fight between adepti and demons. The battle was so intense that Qiqi got caught in the crossfire, and an innocent life was taken due to divine battles. But use adepti and demons both agreed that she did not deserve her life to be taken away so soon and we revived her."

"Oh so she is like me. Cool !"

"Not cool. You two are quite... different. When Qiqi was revived, the overflow of adeptus energy flowing through her caused her to go berserk. So Mountain Shaper had to trap her in an amber prison. You however, are already a skilled fighter with good control of your vision so you were able to handle my adeptus energy."

"What an unfortunate fate... I honestly just feel sorry for her..."

"I do too... anyways, as a zombie, Qiqi's memory and physical abilities have greatly decayed. She will forget a new person after 3 days and she has to follow a strict exercise routine to keep rigor mortis from setting in. You however, don't seem to exhibit these side effects of new life... perhaps it's because you were revived by an archon directly ?"

"Wait... that Zhongli guy is Rex Lapis ?"

"Oh you didn't know ?"

"No ?!?!??! What a surprise..."

"You're so cute when you're flustered..."

I blush at his remark.

"Anyways... are you saying a normal life for her isn't possible..?"

"I'm not saying it's impossible but... it certainly is that much harder for Qiqi to just be a kid."

"... I want to help her. However I can. You do too, right Xiao ?"

"Of course I do... her death was partially my fault... I must atone for such a sin somehow..."

"It's almost sunset. We should go get Qiqi..."

My mind is plagued with doubt. Can I really give Qiqi the life she deserves ? Maybe it was better to let Baizhu take care of her... I mean I have no experience with children and Qiqi is t exactly a normal child either...

I suddenly hear a knock on the door. I stand up and open it up to see Qiqi holding a basket full of beautiful flowers laced together by a thin rope.

"Qiqi made flower crowns for us. Green for Xiao, ( your favorite color ) for Y/N, and blue and white for me."

Suddenly all prior doubts wash away. Something about seeing Qiqi's face just makes me want to protect her no matter what. That feeling has only grown after hearing her tragic past... I want to give her a better future. Alongside Xiao, I want to make Qiqi smile again.

It'll be hard... but what kind of parent would I be if gave up so soon ? I promise you Qiqi, I'll do everything I can to keep you safe and happy.

💫

rosaria still hasn't come home yet... pray for me.