24 : Decided

if anyone was wondering, I am a man that uses all pronouns<3. feel free to call me he she or they^^

Zhongli's POV

"Are you sure about this ?"

"If I'm being honest... no, but I can't think of any other way."

I never could have imagined that Xiao would care this much about someone. I've know Xiao for so long and I know how caring he truly is but... to go this far.

"I made a deal with La Signora, the eighth of the Fatui Harbingers to give up my Gnosis, and as you know, I am not one to break contracts. I will have to give up my Gnosis later this afternoon. I hope you are sure of your decision by then."

Xiao nods and flashes away.

Y/N.. they must have given his poor tormented soul a bit of rest. I can't help but feel slightly responsible for their death but what's done is done. This is certainly an unfortunate turn of events, but this could also be Xiao's chance to escape this torment.

Time flies by so fast.

Xiao's POV

I start running away but my destination is unclear. How can I become sure of my decision ? This one choice will change my entire life, so I must think everything through very carefully.

But my mind keeps running wild with possibilities. The knowledge I've gained from thousands of years of life isn't helping my reasoning either.

I don't know what to do. And I don't know where to go. The only place I've ever felt truly at peace was when I was with Y/N. They gave me a safe space that I've been missing for years. So the answer should be easy... right ?

But what if one day a calamity befalls over Liyue. And if I lose my power, how will I be able to save Y/N ?

There are too many things to think about before I make a decision, and it's driving me insane.

My breathing turns sporadic, my mind goes into overdrive with all of these thoughts entering my head at the speed of light.

Soon enough I find myself curled up under a tree, trembling from the panic rising within me. I want to get Y/N back but wouldn't that be too selfish ?

Why did they have to die so soon... if only I wasn't so dumb and didn't freeze in the middle of battle they would still be alive. My stupidity is the cause of Y/N's death, so do I even deserve them anymore ?

They probably hate me after what happened at the Jade Palace... maybe I deserve this torture. This is my punishment for years of bloodshed.

I deserve this.

. . . . .

Suddenly, I hear a peaceful harp start playing from above me, accompanied by a soft humming.

I remember this... this melody... the same song I heard years ago when I was tired and broken from fighting so much.

This is...

"Hi Xiao~"

I look up to see a familiar bard sitting on a tree branch above me, munching on an apple.

"Barbatos ? What are you doing here ?"

"Hehe, I just wanted to say hello to an old friend. And if you could, I prefer the name Venti now."

Venti's smile... brings back memories.

"Looks like you got something on your mind, maybe this old god can give you some advice."

"... What would you do if someone you truly loved passed, but you had the opportunity to bring them back ?"

Venti jumps down from the tree and sits down beside me.

"Losing someone important is really tough to go through. But I personally think that when someone passes, its because it was their time to go. And there is no greater freedom, than death. But.. part of me still wishes I could bring that person back. So I guess if I could bring someone I cared about back to life... I wouldn't. Because I think that he... died without any regrets. But if you feel that your persons death was undeserved then, if you could, go ahead and bring them back to life."

"... Thanks Venti."

"It's no problem, but I do expect you to give me wine because the wise words of an archon shouldn't be free !"

"No."

"Well it was worth a try ! I'm off then ! Good luck with your dilemma, Xiao !"

Talking to Venti always calms me. Maybe I will treat him to a bottle of wine when all of this is over.

After all this talking, I didn't even realize that it was almost afternoon.

I quickly flash back to Mt. Aozang to see if Rex Lapis is still there, luckily he was.

"Rex Lapis !"

"Back already Xiao ? Well then, tell me, what have you decided."

"I have never been more sure of anything in my life. Let's do it."

Rex Lapis chuckles.

"I expected this, more or less. You were always such a hopeless romantic, Xiao. Let's get started then."

🎬

agshsjdjad sorry if this chapter is a bit short^^;