Locked doors ~ Dream

"Clay?"

It had been 2 weeks since his father passed away, leaving him in possession if the kingdom and everything that came with it. In less than a week he was going to be crowned king of a nation he had lost interest in being ruler of years ago. Clay missed his father more than anything, he thought the nation wouldn't be the same if he was king. The pool of emotions he had been sitting in flowed over his head started to drown him. He wasn't ready to rule an entire nation, he was still young and hadn't lived his fullest life yet. He had told you all the things he wished to do before slowing down and becoming king, but life had other plans.

"Clay please, let me in"

You're heart broke for the man that once filled the castle halls with laughter. He could walk into a room and it would light up like the fireworks he lit every year for your birthday. You knew his father had been his biggest inspiration and clay had shut you out after his passing, you weren't sure how much longer you could keep trying. But you weren't going to give up on him, you would hold on until your last breath if you had to.

"I just wanna help you..."

You tried once again to pull a response out of him. You knew that he wouldn't want to be alone so instead of trying again or leaving you sat with your back leaned on the door, silently signaling you were there for him.

***

You had been sitting there for around 30 minutes now, you were determined to stay with him but it was late now. Your body felt weak, but your brain was still running around trying to think if new ways to help clay. Your brain struck a memory and without hesitation you started talking

"Do you remember when I first met you?"

The only answer you got was the shuffling of sheets being moved around from the otherside of the door, but that was nothing new.

"Almost four years ago now, my mother had taken me to the races. I always hated them, it was just a bunch of horses and people betting away their life savings. We sat across from you and your father-"

You stopped realising that would've struck a nerve for him, but you continued

"- He had placed all his money on the black stalian. You had other plans though you had bet every last cent on the green lightning, the horse that always came last. I thought it was quite stupid of you, so did your father. That what started up the first conversation, he asked me if I thought the green lightning had any chance of winning-"

A faint patter of footsteps sounded out from behind you as clay moved towards the other side of the door, you could hear him slide down sitting back to back with you. The door becoming a wall beween you two, keeping you apart. He was warming up and you'd take that over nothing. You sighed and continued

"I said no of course, you were so sure you were right that you made a bet with me. If my horse won you would double my winnings and if your horse won you'd get to take me out for lunch. I told you that there were plently of other horses that had a chance to win, you were so cocky and just shook your head at me holding out your hand. I shook it, I thought you had no chance to win. As soon as the race started I realised what I had gotten myself into, your horse took of at record speeds leaving everyone else meters behind. I couldn't even speak, neither could your father"

You paused, laughing as you recalled the fond memory. You could hear the ghost of a laugh coming from inside clays room, nothing like it used to be like. It was soft and broken, if you had let out a breath you wouldnt have been able to hear it.

"Your horse won and you took me to lunch that very day, i was a bit upset my horse lost but i had fun. In the long run, I'm glad your horse won."

You wanted to tell him you missed him, that you wanted to help him and you'd keep trying. But you knew it would be the same old answer, nothing. He needed you. no matter how much he ignored you and even if you didn't know it, you sitting there and talking was more comforting than anything anyone else said. But you couldn't keep talking to a wall, no matter how much that wall meant to you. It broke you, he didnt even sleep in the same room as you anymore. No one in the castle had seem him for the past two weeks, they'd just leave plates of food outside his door and let him know you were asking for him. You'd come up here yourself sometimes, he'd never open the door for you and youd leave heavy hearted knpwing you couldnt help. He wanted to tell you so badky how awful he felt not talking to you and shutting you out, locking every door of an opportunity to open up. You wished he'd just open up to you, but you already knew how he felt, but he didnt know how you felt.

"Clay, you're hurting me. I just want to help"

Silents greeted you but you refused take it's hand, you could feel your eyes watering. As your voice trembled underneath your words the pools in your eyes turned into rivers as the flowed down your face. For the first time since clay had shut you out you fully broke, letting everything go. You tried to hide your own sobs, as you finally spoke out again

"I miss you"

...

"I didnt go anywhere..."

To be continued?