Last Look ~ Wilbur

The papers trembled in your hands as you begin to involuntarily shake, the shock rushing through your body as your soon to be Ex-husband stood tall and composed in front of you.

You set the divorce papers down, holding onto the edge of the table to prevent your body from falling to the floor. Unable to look at him out of horror, Even if you had tried to look up at him, you wouldn't have been able to see him through the tears in your eyes.

"Where did this come from..."

Your breath became shaky, the bold words reading "divorce papers" wasn't even what stuck out to you the most, it was the pre written signature of your husband. He had already signed each and every blank line he was meant to before even letting you know he intended to divorce you. This wasn't something he wanted to workout, this was something he wanted over and done with.

"Will-"

Finally looking up at him, begging him to hold you like he used to when you cried like this. His form stood still and cold, You reached out towards him but he only pushed the papers towards you again, insisting you take them and read them.

Read them you did.

The papers told you all about how the divorce was going to work, how it had to be descreat and hidden from the public eye. It was to be announced as a mutual breakup and one that, while pained you both you had equally decided it was for the better.

"Is this real.."

"Yes."

You shook your head, it didn't make any sense. Last night you were laying in eachothers arms, whispering sweet nothings to eachother and laughing softly until you fell asleep. Just last week you were strolling the castle grounds together, teetering on asking about the possibility of children in your lives to fill the palace with more laughter than your own. No less than a month ago you were sitting next to him and his mother at the Royal ball, greeting his friends and family as you had done for years prior as his wife, forever his plus one.

"It's just a precautionary measure, In the end it will work out for the best."

His voice didn't sound as warm as it used to, it made you recoil into yourself. This wasn't your husband. You wiped your tears and as you spoke, your voice sounded weak and broken compared to his.

"This is cruel."

"Perhaps.."

Sliding the paperwork across the table and back towards him in disregard, this was not happening right now and if he stood by his vows it was never going to happen.

"No. It's cruelty like no other"

Your legs felt unstable, but you pushed yourself off the table. Taking a moment as a rush of blood flowed to your head and made the room spin for a second, deep breaths. Deep breaths.

You gave yourself a minute to compose yourself, not wanting to snap at him or break down in front of him. Both equal signs of weakness in this moment, anger and sadness.

"My whole life has been devoted to you, I've given up sleep, family and friends all so I can keep you happy"

This time when you step towards him he didn't step away, his eyes still focused on you as you stopped a few steps away from him.

"We we're happy, don't you dare lie to me and say we weren't"

Seeking the charity of his kindness. You needed him to step towards you, to engulf you in his arms, to hold you as close as possible and promise to never let go again. Instead he stood still, barely even taking in your emotion. So you pushed further, asking a question you were sure he would answer with kindness. A question that you were sure you knew the answer to.