Children's tales ~ Fundy

Your village wasn't exactly the most luxurious place to live it was quite boring. You had never realised that as a child because your imagination could entertain you for hours. Turning sticks into dolls or spending hours with your brother down by the creek, pretending to be adventurers on a mission to find something new and exciting to bring home. Your brother would tell you other tales he had heard, not ones of the forest and it's king but ones of lands far away with mermaids or pirates. He explained to you how when he was older he was going to be an adventurer just like the ones in the stories, Promising to take you with him on his travels. Though you knew you could never really leave the boring little village in fear of what lay beyond and into the forest.

The forest was hardly a place anyone else from the village would be caught dead in, the people there grew up with horror stories of what lies within, the stories of the forest king "Fundy" and what he did to unwanted guests. The children would sit around the bonfire for hours listening to the tales that had been passed down from generation to generation, new stories always being added to the pile of reasons to never set foot inside the north forest.

When you were small those stories would scare you so much you wouldn't dare be within 5 yards of the forest, let alone without company. Your brother would always accompany you towards the treeline, laughing at your reactions to him pretending to walk into the forest. He would take your hand and walk you back to town, assuring you he was just joking and would never go into the forest, he would never leave you.

The tales of all the men who had gone out there to collect firewood or to hunt for their family's dinner, all for them to never return or be found dead at the tree line (somehow being returned home). The stories of how every once in a while another brave soul would get a little bit too confident and venture into the depths all to be ended by the hands of Fundy. You had never known someone to go missing, but you were quite glad about that. A few of your friends had lost their grandparents or their siblings, but you weren't familiar with the grief of losing someone to the forest.

But now, You couldn't help but laugh at a few of the stories that would get told. A few months ago you had found yourself in a situation of curiosity, the ending of the situation leaving you stuck in the forest.  You had accepted your fate, but after a couple of hours, you found yourself back at the tree line. Safe and sound.

Since then you had found yourself going into the forest quite frequently, finding small tokens to sell around town and earn some extra money. You had lost all fear of the forest and brushed all the stories back down to being just silly children's tales.

You spend all your free time in the forest, Forgetting about school and chores. You kept finding yourself in all sorts of trouble back in the village but the forest was a safe sanctuary.  It was your protection, if the story about the king of the forest was real you would believe that it was because of him.

God doesn't play favourites, but a king doesn't have as much morality.

.•°♡°•.

The village people rushed by, heading towards the outer edge of town and the treeline of the forest. The murmuring of passing conversations filled your ears but you couldn't catch onto anything that they were saying. You had an idea of what was going on but your faith in the forest kept you from believing it. It wasn't until your neighbour Caroline stopped to fill you in, taking your hand as she dragged you towards the chaos.

"Quick. They found someone at the treeline.."

The sound of people rushing towards the scene was once again being played, a familiar one for the town to see. But you couldn't quite believe that it was truly happening this time, it wasn't the same. You weren't a scared kid anymore.