Prologue

"Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability."

― H.P. Lovecraft

The smoldering fire burns small branches as fuel, emitting heat that warms the body. When the hand that yearns for warmth is healed from the chill that pierces to the bone, it brings a feeling of relief to me.

"That Koenji! Has he gone mad? He just dropped out of the exam, doesn't he understand the impact on the class?"

Yukimura Teruhiko, an honor student with excellent academic grades, grumbled in annoyance in front of the fireplace.

A quiet night where Class D students can relax in the middle of a special exam on an uninhabited island held by our school.

"Shit! I'm really annoyed with him..."

The one who shouted like a roaring tiger was a student with a slightly delinquent appearance, he was Sudou Ken. A student who is blessed with superior physical abilities has been trained in playing basketball and intends to become a professional player in the future.

"Now what should we do? We just lost 30 points in this exam..."

My classmates muttered worried and sad, due to Koenji's sudden resignation, they had to bear the penalty of deducting the number of points in the exam.

"Relax, everything will be fine, even if we lose 30 points, as long as we compile a list of necessities and prioritize the necessities that are useful for survival, it's more than enough to cover the shortfall. I realize this, my calculations at the beginning will be a bit flawed, but as long as we pass this exam as a class unit, I'm sure we will be able to make up for the shortfall."

The estimated remaining points after the exam was over was 120 points, taking into account the need for survival deducted from the initial total points, it was a reasonable amount to achieve.

Hirata Yousuke, the central figure in the class spoke in front of all his classmates.

"What Hirata said is true, we should still cooperate during this exam using a few points as possible," said Mii-chan.

Many of them agreed with Hirata's proposal, only one girl was a little worried, it was Karuizawa.

"Well, whatever it is, I really hope this will be over soon," she said.

"That's right, it would be more fun if we could spend our time on the ship playing in the swimming pool or shopping at the mall."

"Sensei once said that this exam will be useful for our growth, I don't understand what it means, something like when you are in society or the office."

It's true, the explanation from sensei on the ship was quite confusing but it was a rational reason to review the functions and benefits of this special exam.

Schools operate at a different level than students can imagine. The existence of the S-system and also special exams.

We were all immersed in the relaxing sociality of togetherness. Japanese society tends to attach importance to individuality to a certain degree. However, we value privacy and humanity itself. Although I miss a social system of working together that is practically applied to every area and binds a sense of kinship between families in every house. Seeing the new social system like that isn't bad either, I guess. I'm a little curious about how the country will lead in the future.

There's very little time to spend hanging out and laughing with all the classmates like this, where we talk and laugh without any fear of strangers or anything like that, we're already getting to know each other better.

Of course, there are still 3 years of our journey ahead, that's when the class will grow for the better.

Thinking of such a future, I leaned against the tree and closed my eyes for a moment.

The illusion that I created began to slowly disappear, replaced by the quiet atmosphere of the lush trees around.

Tents that were damaged by heavy rains were seen irregularly on the wet ground, dirty clothes looked messy, some of the students' personal belongings were also stranded everywhere.

I don't remember how I ended up here again.

"Haahh... What do you think? Can we reach class A?"

I purposely chuckled, while resting my aching body, I started talking to the presence beside me.

"You know... Chabashira sensei seems to have the desire to reach class A too. I don't know how, but it seems the school also applies a competition system to the teachers in each class.... Or it leads to personal reasons."

I told how Chabashira threatened me to help her get a class A for her.

"Also, Hoshinomiya sensei seems to have a close relationship with her. They must have been from this school in the past. Somehow I managed to draw the line and a bit of deduction managed to lead me to this answer."

Her eyes at that time, there was a determination that had not disappeared. A desire that she still clung to, but desperately had to let go of it all several times.

To the extent that she found out about me, and also 'that man'. I can't say for sure if it's all a lie... or the school is giving information about students to some extent to the teachers who teach... still not clear. There was a possibility that the existence at school told about me to some extent to Chabashira sensei, then she took advantage of me.

"Actually, I have a lot more to tell you... if you don't mind, I also want to talk about your _____."

I'm sure this is a sensitive topic.

The figures of my friends laughing, sitting around the bonfire in front of the tent began to disappear one by one, replaced by a tense atmosphere where lightning flashed everywhere.

To.... I realized illusion and madness had devoured my mind.

"Goodbye...."

Saying my last greetings to my first friend at this school.

I stroked the bloodied and shriveled body, the stomach shattered by the sharp stab of something, tore the flesh on the side, and expelled what it has.

I witnessed the scene as the little black rats ate the intestines and fresh blood from the colon and stomach.

While promising to bury you someday, when all this is over. I walked back through the dark forest.

A fleeting memory, of mad moans and laughter, sorrow and misery, chased by a night that grows darker and darker, when nightmares amidst the infinite dark sea. I sailed away, towards the sinister truth behind the ruthlessness of the ARCHETYPEs.