Sixteen

Disclaimer:
Queens Gamby deezy as hell but no me own characters so bad give me

Song of the chapter: I'll Try Anything Once by Julian Casablancas

𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗦𝗜𝗫𝗧𝗘𝗘𝗡

•"It all started when I was just a kid, no more than eight, or maybe nine

"It all started when I was just a kid, no more than eight, or maybe nine."

Thea was curled up, holding her legs as she sipped her steaming English breakfast tea in the leather armchair, covered in a warm, knitted blanket. The apartment wasn't so cold anymore, but the thoughts of her past made her shiver.

"During my years of staying at the Methuen Orphanage for girls, I was quite alone. All the time. I wasn't sure why I was there, but I knew I had a common similarity along with each of the girls there. I had no parents. Either they were dead, or they didn't want me. Good as dead either way though."

Benny had been attentively listening to Thea, unlike his interruptions of their last conversation. He subtly nodded his head at everything that made sense to him.

"Have you ever wondered why I know Beth so well?"

Benny responded quickly, "The orphanage right? You grew up together?"

"Yes, we grew up together, but I saw all the darkest parts of her. The ones that Jolene laughed off, but what I was physically pained to be watching."

She took a long sip of her tea and shakily sighed.

"I don't know if you have heard of the pill, Xanzolam."

He tilted his head in confusion.

"It bears many similarities to Librium, liberally prescribed as a cure for anxiety, insomnia, and withdrawal symptoms. Methuen- they used Xanzolam, these little green harmless-looking pills, as a sort of intravenous sedative to keep us calm. It's easier to deal with kids who are calm compared to those screaming and cursing at the workers. At least I'm sure that's what Deardorff had in mind."

"How did that have to do with Beth or whatever that was back there?" He motioned to the bathroom, where she was gagging into the toilet hours before.

"They forced us drugs, said they were vitamins, and got away with it for a long time. They tried to make me take them, but I wouldn't let them. I saw how it affected everyone else, how they weren't necessarily relaxed but in need of more pills to keep them calm. I knew what addiction was before I knew the existence of the word. Until they noticed I wasn't taking the pills. Then they were basically shoving them down my throat, considering it was a mandate at the time. I devised a plan, one to make them think I was consuming the pills. They would make me take the pill, check my mouth to see that I had swallowed it, and send me off."