Eighteen

Disclaimer:
I do not own the characters in the queens gambit, but if I did I'd steal beths entire wardrobe.

Song of the chapter: Hunnybee by Unknown Mortal Orchestra

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

•The blur of the night, between getting back home, instantly falling asleep, followed by the abrupt waking up hours later- was not a good mix for Thea

The blur of the night, between getting back home, instantly falling asleep, followed by the abrupt waking up hours later- was not a good mix for Thea. Thea hated to be woken up when she didn't want to be.

"Benny? What's with all- this?"

Thea rubbed her eyes to see a usually semi-decently cleaned apartment, to books and clothing scattering the floor. Benny seemed to not of heard her or chose to ignore her. His hair was a complete mess, but he was dressed in Thea's leather jacket and jeans which made him look much more presentable.

He cooked pancakes over the stove and set them down on the table. Of course, he was coddling King as well, giving him treats every so often. The cat seemed to love him more and more by the day.

Benny sent a glare over to Thea. "Go pack."

Thea looked at him confusedly, "What, why? What for?"

He took a bite of his pancakes which looked barely edible and steaming. "We're leaving for the airport in about..." He looked down at his watch. "...twenty minutes. So get your shit together. Taxi will be here sooner than that."

"You seem to be in a great mood!" she said sarcastically. "Where are we going?" Thea stood up in the same dress she wore the night prior. Its fabric felt more uncomfortable than it had at the club, and it must have ridden up her body while she slept.

Benny darted his eyes to her and was forced to steal a glance at her before he reverted his gaze to his pancakes. "Ohio United States Championship." He seemed to almost be spatting out the words. What had made him so cold? The night before he was nothing but a saint, and now this bullshit?