Two

My family and I decorated for Christmas today and I made vegan hot chocolate and it was SO bad. Lmk if y'all want the recipe, hint hint (I used gasoline).

Disclaimer:
I do not own the characters in the queens gambit, but if I did Townes would have been less weird towards Beth was I the only one weirded out by them??

Song of the chapter: Kiwi by Harry Styles

𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗧𝗪𝗢

Our new friend <3

1957

Years upon years were spent by young Thea, fitting in, becoming best friends with Jolene although they didn't speak much. It was as if their silent agreement of encouragement came from slight head nods of approval and minimal conversation. Neither of them had the energy to talk to each other much, with so much going on around them, but they didn't need to. It seemed as though they could never be kept apart, intentionally or unintentionally.

Every day, the girl who called herself Thea had less regard for the soul kept in her body, asking her teachers questions like, "What's the point?". Mostly because she knew she would deteriorate if she didn't learn to love, or need to find something to occupy her frequent boredom.

When Beth Harmon arrived at the orphanage a few months prior, Thea had already been there longer than she'd been not in the home. She refused to call it home though, it was just a place of transition to the bright beautiful world she so longed to visit. It may have been the romanticism that she dreamed about the world that allowed her to hold on for so long. To not, die of boredom before that day- was the real challenge.

Thea was around the same age as Beth, maybe a year or two older, not like she could tell. Everyone's supposed age was not their own, but to Mrs. Deardorff, any age that would get you adopted as your own.

Before her hair was cut to perfectly aligned bangs, Beth had medium length, knotty red hair that blazed of color compared to her bleak surroundings. Although her hair was so vibrant, Beth could not say the same for her personality. Her pale skin as dull as the color lost from her eyes. Beth was scary, and she was intimidating for such a young girl.

Yet, Thea did not look at her the same way everyone did, how scared they were of someone different. Someone so capable of superiority should rather be a friend than an enemy, but Thea knew deep down she didn't want to become friends with Beth just for her status in the orphanage.

"H-Hi Beth, I'm Thea. I know you don't like talking to the other girls, and you sort of seem to talk to Mr. Shaibel a lot, but I was just wondering if you-"