Twenty-Seven

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

Before Thea left to restart her life she did one of two things

Before Thea left to restart her life she did one of two things. The first took place not by her volunteer but by an unloyal associate of Borgov's. One may think that this "associate" may have been paid well, considering that he was working for a very powerful Russian figure.

Wrong.

Thea's father was a cheapskate. If only the world weren't full of assholes, but you can't force empathy on the rich men who control the working class. Nor can you on a simply un empathetic person, but that's a philosophy for another day.

This associate with no name was short, built but far more scrawny than the other "associates" and he wore thick-lensed glasses. 

A distraught Thea was understandably upset since this man, one of Borgov's employees, was chasing her down the hall, only to remind her of Borgov once more.

"Ms. B-Borgov?" The man stuttered.

Thea spun around, her eyes aflame. "What? Why could you possibly think it would ever be okay to call me by that disgusting man's name?!"

He grew small, "Right, I'm sorry" He apologized in an obsequious manner. "I just wanted to give you some advice, and- are you crying?"

Thea wiped her mascara, "What does it look like?"

"Anyway, I wanted to tell you that Borgov has offered some money for you to keep quiet-"

"GET. OUT." Thea barked, but the man stayed put.

"I- I will but before I leave, I want to give you some real advice, alright?"

Thea could not believe what she was hearing. Borgov didn't care about her, he cared about the press.

"Fine. What?"

"Stay the hell away from chess. Keep it out of your life. The competition is toxic, and it has only done you wrong."

Thea bit her lip, nodded her head and walked away.

-

When she got back to the states, she decided that enough was enough. She was done with chess. With chess players. She was done with Beltik, Townes, Beth, and Benny. She was especially done with Benny.

Thea had spent years of her life slowly falling for a man who could only hurt her, so she chose to give Beth a ring some day, and make her goodbyes, once and for all.

It had been a month since the tournament, with millions of rings flooding Thea's apartment. Her new, crappy apartment in her lovely New York City. When she moved back, she didn't need to pick up anything from Beths, she didn't have a lot to begin with.

A lazy morning she decided she could not stand the ringing, and after her fowl attempts at painting, she decided to answer.

As soon as she answered, there was chaos. "Thea! I have been so worried about you- where have you been? Can we please talk?"