2

The next day, school compound

America scanned the empty looking school halls, looking for Russia. Japan turned around the corner and greeted him, "Hi, America-kun! You're early today! Are you looking for someone? Perhaps I could help."

America smiled, thanking Japan, "Thank you Japan-chan! I'm looking for Russia, have you seen him? I'm not sure if he comes this early." Japan paused, recollecting her memories. "If I remember clearly, I think I saw Russia walking towards the garden. Why don't you try looking over there?"

"I will, thank you for your help!" The American thanked, grinning from behind his sunglasses. "Anything for a friend, you're welcome!" Japan replied, doing a little bow before walking off towards the library. 

America wandered off to the well-kept gardens and found his friend by spotting the Russian's grey ushanka peeking out of the bushes. "Russia?" America asked, walking towards the bushes.

Russia was squatted on the grass, and in his palms was a mountain bluebird, its blue feathers ruffled. He was feeding the bird some sunflower seeds he brought to school. "Amerika? Why are you so early today?"

America hesitated. "Just had a fight with my father yesterday, so I decided to leave for school earlier." Russia could tell that America wasn't comfortable sharing about it, so he kept quiet and refrained from asking more about it.

"Do you want to pet it, Amerika?" Russia asked, in an attempt to start a conversation with him. America nodded and reached out to pet the bluebird. For a split second, their fingers touched. Instead of flinching and backing away, Russia stood still and felt a warm blush creep up his cheeks. America's touch was different from any other countries. He didn't despise it.

America looked shocked when his fingers brushed Russia's, but he quickly regained his composure and looked up at Russia, who looked as shocked as he felt. The American smiled and petted the bluebird, looking away to give his friend some time to recover.

Together they sat in the comfortable and peaceful silence, watching the bird fly off once it had eaten it's fill, its striking blue feathers shining in the early sunlight.

"Let me buy you lunch," America insisted. "No, Amerika," Russia rejected, but America turned a deaf ear to Russia's reply. America walked up to the counter and ordered two burgers and sodas for them without a second thought. Russia, knowing that America was too stubborn for him to convince otherwise, let him.

When they settled down at a table to eat, America grinned. "It's your turn to get lunch tomorrow. Ukraine tells me the food you make is good." Taking a bite out of his lunch, Russia growled, "Дурак, you tricked me into doing this, Amerika." Then, a second later, he added, "Fine, I'll make lunch tomorrow."

"Thanks Rus," America flashed a smile and his grumpy looking companion. Russia couldn't help himself; a small smile climbed it's way up onto his lips. 

"Y'know, you should smile more. You look good when you do. No homo, though," America commented through a bite of the burger. Russia glanced at the American. "Really?"

"Yeah, why would I lie to you about that? I'm serious." America replied with a straight face. The Russian shrugged. "I don't know, you like to joke around, yes?"

America smiled sheepishly, taking a sip of soda. "I'm not joking this time, I swear." Russia kept silent and nodded, finishing his meal.

The American played with his food, trying to make his friend laugh. After they finished their lunch, they walked back to their classroom while America talked animatedly about his siblings, affectionately calling his youngest sibling, New Zealand, "Kiwi".

Russia liked listening to America talk about his siblings. He seemed to be close to all his siblings. The only siblings the Russian was close to were Ukraine, Belarus and Kazakhstan. He had many other siblings but none of them were as close to him as those three.

As they neared the classroom block, they bumped into Ukraine and Canada, who seemed to be talking about Autumn and the weather. America and Canada exchanged glances and reached a mutual understanding. They didn't need to tell their father that they were still talking to Russia and his siblings. If America kept quiet about Ukraine, Canada would do the same for America and Russia.

Ukraine was talking to Russia about his new flower crown that was made by Canada. America glanced at Canada, who was blushing and staring at the ground. He never knew that his brother knew how to make flower crowns. "That's a pretty cool skill you've got there, Nada," America told his older brother. "Where did you learn it?"

"Learned it to keep Australia and New Zealand occupied in the past," Canada admitted. "I told Ukraine about it and he asked me to make one for him. I didn't know he had a thing for them."

"He seems to like it, though," America noted before walking off to class with Russia. Canada nodded. "See you later, Ame."

Back at home, Russia made sure that his father, Soviet, wasn't around before he started to prepare the next day's lunch: piroshki and borscht. Ukraine watched him prepare it out of curiosity and partly out of boredom. 

Once he was done with that, he kept the food neatly in the fridge before preparing dinner for his family with the help of Ukraine, Belarus and Kazakhstan. Dinner was always done by the four of them, and that was what made them bond into close siblings.

By the time the table was done being set for dinner, their father had reached home. Although Russia was considered the closest to USSR, they rarely talked that much about things other than military tactics and whatnot.

Russia was the first to finish his meal as usual, and left the table to wash the dishes used for cooking dinner in the sink. It was a chore to his siblings but Russia didn't mind it as the time he spent washing dishes was also the time he had some peace to himself. The sound of the water flowing from the tap soothed him as it reminded him of rivers in the forest.

When he was done with the dishes in the sink, he took a shower before reading a few chapters of a book and turning in for bed.

Meanwhile, America and Canada had said nothing at the dining table about Russia or Ukraine, instead talking about the weather and Rover. Britain suspected nothing about it, thinking that for once, America stopped rebelling against him and stopped talking to Russia. To Britain, it was just a normal family dinner. France thought the same too, and was talking to New Zealand and Australia about their classes.