12

When America awoke, he realised that he had fallen asleep leaned against Russia. Russia's arm was draped across America's shoulders. America's face flushed a deep red as he straightened himself up. "Oh, you're awake," Russia remarked calmly, "did you sleep okay?"

America rubbed his face and admitted, "Yeah, I did." Then, turning to his brother on the other side of the aisle, he asked, "Are we almost there yet?"

"Yeah, we'll be there in around half an hour, depending on the traffic. It's quite early in the morning, so I don't think there'll be many vehicles on the road." Canada replied. "Do you need anything? Water?"

"No, I'm good, thanks." America yawned. He pulled out his sketchbook and pencils, which he never travelled anywhere without, and started doodling. Russia peered curiously over America's shoulder at the paper. "What are you drawing, Ame?"

"I'm not really drawing anything, just scribbling and doodling as a practice and to keep me occupied," America mumbled in response. "I see." Russia nodded.

The bus was silent for a few moments, and the only sound that could be heard was the scratching of pencil on paper. Canada closed his eyes and leaned back in his seat. "Wake me up in twenty minutes, when we reach a neighbourhood near a forest."

"Okay, get some rest," Russia responded, and continued watching America. A drawing had started to take shape, and despite it still being a sketch, it already looked quite detailed. "Is that a dog?" Russia queried.

"Yep, it is. It's my dog. He's a Staffie. His name's Rover." America said, his face softening into a smile. "I've always wanted a dog, perhaps I'll get one some day." Russia's eyes twinkled and his face seemed to light up.

"What type of dog are you planning to get?" America implored as he began shading.

"Any dog would do, but I'd get a Russo-European Laika if I have the chance," Russia answered as the bus began to pull into a neighbourhood that matched the description that Canada had given. "We'd better wake our brothers up."

Once they were all off the bus, they took a moment to stretch their fatigue off. "We'll have to climb over this fence to get into the forest," Canada gestured, his hand on the sturdy metal wire. 

"I'll go first," America volunteered, grabbing a thick blanket from inside his bag and holding it with his teeth as he scaled the fence. Once he got to the top, he removed one hand from the wire he was clinging to to maintain his balance and flung the cloth over the barbed wire neatly.

America then jumped down from the fence into the forest floor, landing on some fallen leaves and grass. "C'mon, let's move as quickly as possible."

Ukraine went next, followed by Canada. Russia went last, and he grabbed the blanket with him as he jumped. "Here, your blanket," Russia said, passing it to America. America dusted it off and thanked Russia.

Ukraine pointed into the woods. "Let's go deeper into the forest. Maybe we can find a safe water source." The four boys walked deeper into the vegetation, listening for the tell-tale sounds of a fast flowing river.

A few minutes later, Russia had spotted a glimpse of clear water, shining softly in the rising sun's light. "I think I've found us the water source," Russia announced quietly, stepping over roots and plants as he made his way to the riverbank.

The rest followed suit, walking toward the Russian. "Well, shall we stay here or follow the river and go even deeper into the forest?" America inquired.

Ukraine looked up at the forest canopy. "I think we should go even deeper. I feel quite open and exposed here."

They continued walking by the river until they found an area where the trees were packed together, offering a good hideout for them. America patted down the ground before unpacking the tent he had carried along with him.

Russia and Ukraine left to scout the area, leaving America and Canada to set up the tent. By the time they were done setting up, the other pair had returned, reporting nothing unusual. 

"It's kinda small, but this is the best we can do for now." America declared. "We should make a campfire for some warmth, I think it'll get even colder than it is right now."

Russia pulled out his survival knife from it's sheath that was hung at his belt and began hacking at the undergrowth, clearing it so that there would be a decreased risk of a forest fire happening. 

Using some wood, America dug out a pit in the ground to contain the campfire. He produced a swiss army knife from his pocket and turned the wood into curly pieces of wood shavings, which he put in a bundle in the middle of the pit.

Once Canada and Ukraine had returned with some firewood and kindling, the American placed the kindling in a teepee shape over the wood shavings. Once he had managed to balance them, he picked four pieces of firewood to set around the teepee in a square shape.

The rest took turns to lay smaller and shorter pieces of firewood in the same pattern, adding the lightest pieces of kindling to the top carefully once they were done. 

"Let's light it when it gets dark later, I think I want to catch up on some sleep and get something to eat," Canada mumbled, the lag in his wearied brain making his words clumsy, "I'm beat."

The Canadian inhaled a slice of bread and a small can of tuna before knocking himself out in the tent and sleeping like a log. Ukraine, who had been sleep deprived due to worrying about his siblings, did the same not long after.

America turned towards Russia. "You should go to sleep. I don't think you slept during the bus ride, did you? I can manage."

A small, amused smile creased Russia's face. "I'm not tired. I don't need a lot of sleep." Russia patted America on the head softly with his uninjured hand, with the other in his jacket's pocket. "Thanks for your concern though." The Russian chuckled as America squawked in indignance.

Russia's chuckle was infectious, and America started laughing too, walking towards the river as he tried to escape Russia's head-patting. His laughter was like a chime of bells, and as soft as tears. 

Russia's heart fluttered as he watched his companion laugh, America's hair glowing in the bright morning sun, cheeks and tip of nose slightly red from the cold. 

Colour rose in Russia's cheeks and he couldn't help but crack an affectionate grin.