23

"Stay here, alright? We're going to find Maman and Dad, okay?" Canada murmured. "Listen to any instructions Germany and Poland give you." Australia and New Zealand nodded as they watched their two brothers and their two other friends leave the room.

"So, where do you think they are?" America asked, keeping up with Russia's long strides. "They have to be on this level. We should check the other wing." Russia hissed under his breath softly so that only the other three could hear him. 

"Move faster, we shouldn't stay here longer than we need to." Ukraine muttered, his eyes darting, glancing at their surroundings like a hunted animal. Just as a guard rounded the corner,  Russia shoved them behind a wall and dipped his head curtly just as he had seen his father do so many times before. "Afternoon."

The guard straightened up from his original slouched posture, and bobbed his head. "Good afternoon, sir. Is there anything you require assistance with?" His voice was strained in the effort to cover up his surprise of being spoken to. He must be a new recruit, Russia thought. I wonder if he joined willingly.

Russia blinked for a moment, before drawling, "No, there is nothing that I need help in. You may continue with your duty." The guard scurried off stiffly, not sparing a glance over his shoulder. Once the guard was out of earshot, America whispered, "Are they all like that? Afraid of your father?"

"Not all. I think he's new, I've never seen him here before and he seems too shocked." Russia pushed on. "We should really get going, we have to get out before someone realises I'm not actually my father."

They moved faster, snatching glances into the mostly empty rooms at their sides. "Last corridor," Ukraine murmured. "They've got to be here somewhere..."

America's pace quickened noticeably, and so did Canada's. "C'mon, c'mon, c'mon..." America muttered feverently until he stopped at a window. France looked furious and was pacing around the room while Britain glared at the ceiling and door. 

"This is it. That's them." Canada said. At his voice, France stopped her pacing and Britain snapped his attention to the door. "Okay, stand back. I'm going to open the door." Russia executed another perfect kick to the door, which swung open as expected. 

"So then, have you rethought your decision in keeping us penned up like bloody animals?" Britain bristled at the sight of Russia in disguise. "Or are you going to kill us now instead? I see that your son behind you has a gun."

"Dad, they're not... that's not Soviet... that's Russia and Ukraine and they're here to help." Canada explained, walking towards his parents. "Mes fils! Why are you with them? How do you know they're not working against you?"

"Because our father shot at us too. Shot us all as a group. If I wanted to kill your sons, I would have done it already." Russia growled. "We really don't have the time, Mr. Britain and Madame France. We have to go before they figure out that this is a trick."

"But-" Britain started. "Dad, I'm dating Russia. He helped me when I was coughing out black goo. I think we can trust him." America cut off impulsively. Britain looked at him, mouth slightly open in surprise. 

They moved off quickly, meeting not much resistance and regrouped with Poland, Germany, Australia and New Zealand. "I'll take America's family first, bring them somewhere safer and then meet up with you guys since it'll be less suspicious with me looking like my father. Do you think you could trouble your uncles to pick them up again as well?"

"I think so, I'll just drop a text. We're family, after all." America extracted his phone. "My phone's gonna die soon. Gotta make this quick."

"Okay, I'll go with Ukraine now. Давай, lets go." Australia and New Zealand followed compliantly, but Britain and France hung behind, exchanging glances and hesitating. "Go on, follow him. We'll meet up later."

Once Russia and the rest of his group was halfway down the corridor, the rest snuck out, dodging people in the facility. They were halfway out of the building when Poland tripped on something. "Shit," he swore as he pitched towards the floor, his hands clamouring for something to grab hold of to steady his balance.

Poland hit the blinding white floor with a grunt of pain. Germany turned around when he heard Poland, before someone grabbed his arm and yanked him away. Thinking that he was caught, he attempted to elbow the person behind, who blocked his attempt.

"Germany, stop struggling!" Canada whispered. Said country turned around and snapped back. "What're you doing? I'm just trying to help Poland!" America shook his head and pointed at the figure striding straight towards Poland, who had pulled himself up.

"Oh, scheiße." Germany uttered, drawing his pistol. "Let me at him."

"Are you crazy? He's far stronger than any of us. He has an army of guards at his disposal!" America hissed. Soviet approached Poland calmly. "Idź, wymyślę sposób, jak się stąd wydostać." Poland said, knowing very well that the man approaching him wouldn't understand what he said. 

"What did he say?" Canada asked. Germany swallowed the bitter taste of bile in his mouth. "He said: 'Go, I'll figure out a way to get out of here.'" America stayed put for a while before agreeing with Poland's decision. "Let's run."

Poland watched his friends run away before turning his attention to the problem in front of him. He was caught. I shouldn't have tripped, he thought bitterly, glaring defiantly at Soviet Union. 

"So, where are the rest?" The Russian man questioned. "They aren't here. I came alone." Poland lied. "Oh, really? So what were you saying just now, before this?" He shot back sharply. "I was cursing about why I had to fall and why you had to find me."

Another lie. Poland was mildly surprised by how easily they slipped out, especially now that he knew that at any point of time he could be killed.

It had been a while since Poland had been caught. He wasn't sure how long he had been held captive, and the meals he received were irregular. He supposed it was the punishment for his silence. Knowing that the longer he waited, the more of his energy would be sapped from him.

He had to escape. 

While he still could.