29

Christmas was approaching, and the whole student body was in a festive mood. Russia had begun to brighten up with the help of America and the rest of his friends, and he could almost forget that his father could die.

Soviet had pulled him aside one night after he did the dishes. Russia flinched on instinct, and his father frowned, regret filling his face. "I'm sorry," they both apologised to each other.

"Shh, I should be the one apologising." Soviet shushed. "I want to tell you this. If I die, don't stop living. While I'm alive, however, live like you don't know I'm dying. I want to see you happy. The last time I saw you happy was when you were a small kid. I'm sorry for taking your childhood away from you."

Russia surprised himself when tears started welling in his eyes, shoulders trembling. Soviet raised his eyebrow. "Ребенок (Child), why are you crying?"

The younger male shook his head and wiped away the tears flowing down his face. "Я... я просто... (I... I just...)"

Soviet smiled softly, embracing his oldest son and patting his back. Russia hugged his father back, trying to get ahold of himself.

When Russia had stopped crying, Soviet asked, "Do you want to make пельмeни (pelmeni) with me?" Russia agreed, and his siblings soon joined them in cooking, one by one.

Over at America's household, they were putting up decorations and decorating their Christmas tree. America had wrapped his present for Russia, even though he celebrated it on the 7th of January. Canada had done the same for Ukraine.

"That's for Russia, am I right?" Britain guessed, pointing at the parcel in America's hands. America nodded, grinning. "And who's that for?" Britain inquired, looking at the box in Canada's hands.

Canada flushed. "Ukraine. I'm dating him."

"What a family," Britain muttered. "I raised two boys who managed to charm two boys from the coldest family I know. Bloody hell, I'm proud."

America and Canada exchanged glances, a smile spreading on each of their faces. New Zealand stared at them. "Does that mean you'll get married and Aussie and I will have a niece or nephew?"

The pair of twins choked. "N-no," Canada spluttered while America shook with laughter.

"Oh," New Zealand frowned, looking rather disappointed. "I don't think so," America said half-heartedly, for the benefit of his sister.

"Why don't all of you go get ready? I think they'll be here soon. I'll just check up on the food." France suggested, making her way to the kitchen.

The said countries were making their way to the house, slightly nervous to meet the family. As soon as the doorbell rang, America and Canada rushed to the door to greet their guests. "Hey, Russia. Hi, Ukraine." 

Russia had arrived in a long-sleeved shirt and jeans, and Ukraine was dressed in a light grey turtleneck paired with a pair of jeans too and his usual flower crown perched on top of his hair.

Britain smiled warmly at the two. "Come on in." The two Slavic siblings looked uncertainly at their host family wearing shoes and their own feet. "You can wear them in." Britain cleared up, and they walked in.

"Merry Christmas, Amerika," Russia said, handing America a wrapped gift and receiving a present in return. Canada and America left the gifts they recieved under the Christmas tree before the four teens washed their hands and seated themselves at the table.

"I brought some pelmeni," Russia offered, holding up the box he made with his father and siblings earlier in the day. "Don't worry, it's not poisoned. I can eat one to show you." He joked, and everybody chuckled as he set the box down in the middle of the table with the rest of the dishes.

They had a cheerful dinner together, chatting and laughing as they ate. Their two guests began to loosen up and started cracking jokes and joining in actively in the conversations. When dinner was done, America, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Russia and Canada watched the Bee Movie together for the laughs.

Britain and France joined them for a bit before going out to meet up with some of their friends and Britain's siblings.

"Ya like jazz?" America mimicked, earning laughs from all of them watching the movie. Halfway through the movie, America got up. Russia shot him a questioning look, and America whispered, "I wanna go out for a bit. Follow me?"

"Sure," Russia agreed, and they slipped out of the house quietly, heading for the neighbourhood park. They walked for a bit before they reached a grassy patch with very little trees, where America sat on the bare grass.

"Sit down, there's no mud. If there is, I'll buy you ice cream or something later." America promised. Russia was skeptical, but he sat down anyways. They looked at the moon and the stars for a bit in comfortable silence.

"Do you see the Big Dipper? It's part of another constellation, Ursa Major. Slightly above it is the Ursa Minor, they're both bears." America blurted out.

"Mhmm," Russia smiled. "They're beautiful." 

"Yeah," America nodded, his eyes sparkling in the moonlight. "Like you and your eyes." Russia said absentmindedly. America blushed. "Thanks."

They stargazed for a while more before getting up. "There's mud on my jeans, you owe me an ice cream now," Russia observed calmly. "Oh well, I'm lucky I brought my wallet." America sighed as Russia pulled him up from the grass.

"Let's go to McDonald's." America decided. Russia groaned but caved in when America started dragging him towards a McDonald's store, its sign glowing brightly in the darkness of night.

They both got Oreo Mcflurries which they ate while walking back. "I'm glad the ice cream machine wasn't broken today," America laughed. "It always seems to be broken when I want to buy an ice cream. And no, I don't go every day."

"Maybe you're unlucky, and I'm lucky, so the machine works just fine today." Russia teased. America rolled his eyes, but the corners of his mouth quirked up. "Sure, whatever floats your boat."

"Hey, you have a bit of ice cream on your cheek," Russia pointed out. "Where?" America asked, bringing his hand to his face so he could wipe it off. 

"I'll get it for you," Russia bent down and kissed his boyfriend on his cheek. America turned his head and returned the kiss, putting his arms around Russia's neck. Russia put his hands around America's waist, closing his eyes. Their lips connected for only a few seconds, but it felt like hours of blissful peace.

"God, your lips are cold from the ice cream." Russia chuckled when they seperated. "So are yours," America countered playfully. "Did I really have ice cream on my cheek or did you just say that so you could kiss me?"

"You did indeed have ice cream on your cheeks," Russia insisted. "Okay," America chortled. "Tonight's been great."